Pre-amps with seperate power supplies .....

I have a pre-amp with a seperate power supply that is connected by an umbilical cord. I am not an electrical engineer and I do not pretend to be one nor do I play one on TV.....I am pretty sure that there is DC current going from the power supply to the main pre-amp to power that component. Does it make any sonic sense to upgrade that umbilical cord seeing how that it is ''only'' carrying DC current ????? The pre-amp in question is a Classe' CP-700. I have asked this very same question to the fine people at Classe' and they said improving that cord would not make any difference.... So, I will ask that question here and also see if anybody has actually upgraded that power cord.
garebear
"Insert any "name" you want i.e. Cardas, Synergistic Research, JPS, Nordost, Transparent etc.."

Can you provide documentation to back up your statement?
Overall in this hobby, I think prices skew our judgment and ears, not to say expensive stuff does not sound better but the Yellow Eagle plug example by Gbart says it perfectly.

As to the OP question, that umbilical of the CP 700 looks a lot nicer than the ordinary looking network cat5 patch cable looking umbilical of my Bryston BP-20. I often wondered too about upgrading mine but it is hardwired into the ps so I will keep on wondering :)
Years ago before we made our first preamp we began using IEC connections on our amps (which continued with our preamps) for the simple reason that audiophiles like to tinker.

If the power cord is integrated into the equipment that means they might be rewiring part of the product. So we went to IEC connections so a person could try power cords to their heart's content. It turns out that certain power cords do indeed sound better than others, but not in all situations. So you can't assume that a particular power cord will be best. As a result we use a cord that is adequate, but you may get better sound with a different cord.

This is more likely with our amps than our preamp, which has tightly regulated supplies with lots of overhead. Under such circumstances the power cord has far less effect.
Atmasphere, Years ago before you made your first preamp aftermarket power cords were not popular.