Pre-amps with seperate power supplies .....

I have a pre-amp with a seperate power supply that is connected by an umbilical cord. I am not an electrical engineer and I do not pretend to be one nor do I play one on TV.....I am pretty sure that there is DC current going from the power supply to the main pre-amp to power that component. Does it make any sonic sense to upgrade that umbilical cord seeing how that it is ''only'' carrying DC current ????? The pre-amp in question is a Classe' CP-700. I have asked this very same question to the fine people at Classe' and they said improving that cord would not make any difference.... So, I will ask that question here and also see if anybody has actually upgraded that power cord.
garebear
Rrog makes a very good point. Different isn't necessarily better. In fact, it could be that the designer experimented with various types of wire and found the particular configuration that he settled on to provide the best results. Second-guessing the designer with some other wire may actually hinder the performance.
Yes you can change it to a better cord and it will sound better. If you sell it then just be clear on what you have done. I have changed and in the end improved lots of stock gear with better quality parts. Yes, we need to clearly point out any mods when sold.

Goodness the level of improvement afforded by simple mods is both staggering and relatively cheap. Better caps, resistors, wire, attenuators and on an on.....high end stuff is often built with embarrassingly cheap and inappropriate parts quality for the selling price. Yes, $10,000 plus speakers with $8 caps in key positions that sound ok, but can be greatly improved.

I have seen many $3000 - $4000 preamps with a poor sounding ALPS pot when a nice stepped Attenuator would elevate the sound in a stunning manner.
It`s true different and better aren`t the same.Can many audio components be improved upon? Yes! Grannyring is right in that lots of part choices are compromises by the builder to control cost and stay within a certain price target.Certain higher quality capacitors,resistors,wire,etc. wouldn`t be cost effectively for the manufactuer but can easily be improved by the owners of these components.Look at the standard power cords components are shipped with for one example of cost cutting.Of course the range of "part quality" compromise varies from one builder/brand to another.
Usually a very slippery slope regarding resale,sounds better and any other reason you want to use to mod/change a factory item.My attempts on that merry-go-round is a 25% success ratio,good luck,Bob