Current amp vs Voltage amp

Two different topologies with different intent. There are arguments for and against both technologies. Not having a electronics background I'm tying to get a clearer understanding.

Speaker matching including impedance and power requirements: how does one match 1:1 :: amps:speakers? General rule of Higher sensitivity benign/high impedance to tubes, and, low medium/sensitivty variable impedance to SS (considering they can be of higher power rating)?

This is not to see which is best, but to better understand the process of matching components.
deadlyvj
I copied below John Atkinson's bench tests of the Revel Ultima Salon 2, a speaker that most would agree is a very high end performer. While the impedance and phase angle plots are more "user friendly" than my Paradigm S8s, it is important to note that even the mighty Revel's impedance plots have peaks and valleys. The low being a little less than 4 ohms in the bass region, with a high of 14 ohms in the mid/treble FR range.

So . . . based on the comments above, I would expect that if the Revels were driven by a "pure" Power Paradigm amp with a relatively high output impedance, the acoustic presentation could very well be colored to some extent in the mid/treble FR range. But as Al said, such may not necessarily be the case because many tube amps are configured to have lower output impedances than one might expect, probably because of NF.

In light of the bench test results of the ARC Ref 150 and VS-115, see above, if those amps were used to drive the Revels, I surmise that the acoustic coloration might not be too far off, especially if the 4 ohm taps are used. I don't know if the Ref 150 or VS-115 have enough "oomph" to get the best out of the Revels, but I don't think you would get a headache listening to them.

Btw, I seem to recall that the Revel web site recommends a high current/high output SS amp to get the best results out of the Revels. I understand that the Revels are somewhat inefficient.

I hope our membership reads these OPs because I think there is much to learn. I think this OP and other OPs are asking good questions.

Btw, btw, as I am retraining my ears to get used to listening to my S8s driven off the 4 ohm tap, I don't think the S8s sound all that bad -- maybe even better than before. It's probably all in my head. ;>')

Cheers,

http://www.stereophile.com/content/revel-ultima-salon2-loudspeaker-measurements
05-05-13: Unsound
Al, the wouldn't sensitivity of the speaker vary along with the impedance?
Sensitivity, defined as the sound pressure level (SPL) generated by the speaker at a given distance, in response to a given voltage at its input terminals, at a given frequency, is what it is for a given speaker.

If the impedance of the speaker varies widely as a function of frequency, and if the speaker is driven by a tube amplifier having significant output impedance, then the voltage that appears at the input terminals of the speaker, which will be essentially the same as the amplifier's OUTPUT voltage, will vary significantly as a function of frequency, for a given INPUT voltage to the amplifier.

If the same speaker is driven by a solid state amplifier having near zero output impedance, then the voltage that appears at the input terminals of the speaker will NOT vary significantly as a function of frequency, for a given INPUT voltage to the amplifier.

What matters is minimizing the variation of SPL, as a function of frequency, for a given INPUT voltage to the amplifier. Which of those two scenarios will produce the best results in that respect depends on the design of the particular speaker, and what kind of amplifier the designer envisioned it being used with.

Deadlyvj, thanks for providing the interesting link. A bottom line summary seems to me to be contained in this quote:
Due to voltage driving, the sonic performance of virtually all loudspeaker systems is severely impaired by the diverse electromotive forces (see above) induced in the voice coil motor corrupting the ideal behaviour of the amplifier interface....

The effect is not unknown and can be traced down, but Meriläinen strongly feels that the noise mechanisms related to traditional voltage driving have not been adequately addressed, not in the literature, nor in practice.

No amplifier can remove the internal EMF voltage components at the driver motor, but their diverse effects on the speaker/amplifier interface and hence, on the sound quality, can be diminished with a sufficiently high source impedance.
I think that commenting on that intelligently would require both study of the details that are contained in his book, and more knowledge of speaker design than I possess. But his thesis, as I see it, does not change the fact that if a speaker has wide variations of impedance as a function of frequency, it is likely to perform best with an amplifier having whatever kind of output impedance the designer envisioned it being used with.

Best regards,
-- Al
If we put aside the issue of damping for the moment, and so long as such a ss amplifier has the required output power, such a ss amplifier would almost always be able to provide more linear output regardless of whether they are ESL's or dynamic speakers, and that would hold true whether or not the impedance swings were wide or not. Whether or not thus would always be audible is of course another issue.:-)
Hi Unsound,

Yes, "such a ss amplifier would almost always be able to provide more linear output regardless of whether they are ESL's or dynamic speakers, and that would hold true whether or not the impedance swings were wide or not." (Assuming that by "linear" you are referring to flat frequency response).

However, as I indicated that is not what matters. What matters, with respect to this issue, is the frequency response flatness of the output of the SPEAKER, as judged against the INPUT to the AMPLIFIER. Which in turn depends on how suitable the match is between amplifier output impedance and the design of the particular speaker.

Frequency response flatness at the amplifier output/speaker input has no direct relevance. Speakers whose impedance varies significantly as a function of frequency, and that match most optimally with tube amps, can be presumed to require a non-flat frequency response at their input terminals to produce an acoustic output whose frequency response is flat. If such a speaker is mated with a solid state amplifier having near zero output impedance, frequency response flatness will have been optimized at the output of the amplifier, but it will be wrong at the output of the speaker.

Best regards,
-- Al
Please forgive me, as I don't seem to understand.
I would think that if the speakers impedance varies, and as such it's sensitivity varies, I would think that unless the amplifier can adapt its power output appropriately, the speakers frequency output response will deviate from linearity.