Modern High end vs. old receiver

So I recently sent in my Aesthetix Janus in for a capacitor upgrade, which leaves me without a pre-amp. In desperation for a little music, I brought in my the Kenwood Kr-3090 that I inherited from my grandmother and have been enjoying in the garage. 25W, made 1978-1981 or so. Damn thing sounds almost as good my Aesthetix Janus and Audio Research VT-100 MkII. Now don't get me wrong, there's a difference, but I can happily sit and listen and fully lose myself in the music.

I am using Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers, which work well with low-powered electronics, as evidenced by Robert Lee's matching them with Triode corporation tubes at the shows. I'm also using my standard front end - Oppo BDP-83 with Brystond BDA-1 and Acoustic Zen Absolute cables. Still.... jeez, it's unreal how much better it sounds than some of the other high-end gear I've had in here.

My learning from this is that the source matters, and you should not look askance at equipment just because it is old or inexpensive.
128x128darkj
As with everything else in this hobby, as well as other hobbies, the law of diminishing returns hits hard and early.
Yep, it really makes you wonder what has happened in the last 30 years besides hype and we are right back to the discussion about audio magazines and their reviews. But then Kenwood was designed by some brilliant guys. At least one of them went on to start up Accuphase.
When the best minds pretty well think alike, it's hard for them to compete with each other. The trick is finding them without it being too expensive.
The whole notion that component X sounds, or DOESN'T sound, 50X (or any other amount) better than component Y is, with all due respect, ludicrous. It is a bit like the "wind-chill factor" that my wife and I have an on-going banter about. ACCORDING TO WHO? is the question that always seems to be overlooked. There is no question that the law of diminishing returns sets in at some point; but that point is different for everyone. If component X is able to get rid of that little annoying (to me) glare around 5K that makes me not be able to enjoy the music as much as component Y, then that which is only 5% better to listener A quickly becomes my 100%, and I am willing to pay (a lot) for it.

Having said all that, while I have no doubt that the Kenwood sounds good, I find it hard to believe that the difference is slight. Please let us know how you feel when you get your preamp back.
I have a Kenwood KR-9400 receiver that I purchased new in 1976 and has been the heart of my garage system for more than 20 years---I still have the original receipt, manual, and warranty card. It is 120 watts per channel, has never had a problem, and sounds pretty decent. I am using it with Kef 104/2 speakers, a Sony SCD-C555ES CD changer, and an Escient music server. I get grief from my wife when I crank it up a bit too much---she thinks the neighbors will complain. So it is not as good as my main system but is pretty awesome to listen to while tinkering in the garage or doing yard work!