Best older Krell integrated amp that sounds good?

I have looked at several "USED" integrated amps, and found the Krell KAV 400Xi gets high marks from reviewers. However this unit was first marketed in 2006-2007, which raises the issue with why bother with an older design, that was replaced 3 years later. KAV-400Xi packs a wallop of power at 200RMS. My concern is: will it be equal to or exceed the performance my Red Dragon M-500 digital mono blocks. I am getting tired of all the separate boxes, and want to make the system simple. I have seen a few KAV 400Xi on AG, but the sellers were asking for too much money. Maybe, I am wrong but the "blue book" price on this amp( VG used) is about $1200.

Of course, my other option is to look at some of the newer integrateds on the markets at or under 1500. But i am looking for quality sound without reaching for A PASS, ARC, Rowlands integrated. My system is not in that league.
sunnyjim
@ sunnyjim, hi,there is a couple of them on E-bay!,tell me if you get one!,It may take me a couple of months to get mine,I am putting alot of money in the main system at present!,regardless,based on what you told me,I am going for the 400xi!cheers!
Audiolab... I will check out e-bay which is usually alot more expensive. Nevertheless, you should read one of the reviews. Keep in mind this is a 9 year old design and its sound tends toward leaner. Another suggestion to consider is the new Rogue integrated called "The Sphinx" It is a hybrid integrated with 100RMS. It has a phono stage for MM and high output MC, and supposedly sports a separate high quality head phone amp it will sell for $1295.00 One negative, the remote is an extra $100 which in my opinion is cheapskate stuff and the remote only does volume up/down. Good Luck!!
@ sunnyjim, hi,As a matter of fact,you loose bass when you buy cheap cables,the tara the one does not add bass at all,they are nuetral,very resolving,warm,transparent big time!,these cables allows the krell 300I or 400xI to do what they really do,I get fustrated when somone believes that if they spend $1,700.00 on a componet,then a $300.00 to $800.00 cables will work best,wrong!,the cables in this case are far and away the most important here!cheers!
@ sunnyjim,Lean!,I do not think so,a high quality cable such as Taralabs the one,gave the krell 300I I had bass very deep and defined,the over all sound was stunning!with these krell intergrateds,cables make a huge difference!,never put cheap cables on these babys!,I do not care if the cables cost way more than the krell, well worth it,bigtime!,the bass literally vibrated the walls for crying out loud!,plenty of very deep bass!,excellent cable synergy with this krell,as a matter of fact,I still have those cables and thats what I will be useing on the 300I or 400xi, $5,000.00 1 i/c,1 pair of 6ft speaker cables,so far,,,cheers!
@ sunnyjim, Where did you go?, I was not tring to come off like a xxxhole, apoligies,If I came on to strong,been doing audio a long time!, I am a firm believer in cables, to say the least! happy listening!