Krell KRC3 low volume / low output voltage ?

Hi everybody,

I’m new to Audiogon so I should introduce myself, but there’s not too much to say. As all of you I do love music and as a mean I try to have systems that suit my taste. What else can I add? Ohh… my English might not be too good, I’ll try to do my best. Anyway you can correct me, no offence!

So my first post is about an issue with krell preamps, especially the KRC3, which is my actual preamp. It appears that I have to crank up the knob to get a loud volume. My power is a Pass Labs X250. First I thought it could be something wrong with my preamp but then I remember I’ve had the exact same problem running a KSL.

On the other hand I don’t have this issue with Classe preamp (model five or model fifteen).

Anyway I’m trying to use a balanced cable between the KRC3 and the Pass but I don’t really feel the 6 db more I should hear (following what is sais in the owner’s manual)… Should I run the whole system through XLR cable (actually I can’t because my Marantz DV-9500 doesn’t have XLR outputs)

So what do you think?
By the way I found an old and similar thread here:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1101779119&openflup&12&4

Thank you and I hope I can soon help somebody in a forum thread.

James Zep (not my name, just a mix between James Gang and Led Zeppelin, I guess I won’t need to precise my musical tastes…! Don’t worry, I also listen plenty other things…)
jameszep
Jameszep,

I'm not sure if the KRC-3 is fully balanced or quasi-balanced. The manual note may say that you will get +6 dB of gain running balanced, but their spec sheet in the manual does not indicate this. It says 6.5 dB of gain....period.
Most spec sheets that offer balanced and unbalanced outputs would have a spec sheet that states:
Gain - 6.5 dB unbalanced, 12.5 dB balanced

The Krell does not do this, so you would have to contact Krell to find out where the error is in their manual. Is it in their +6 dB note, or on their specification sheet.

If you don't hear a +6 dB difference, I would suspect a quasi-balanced design, which does not provide a +6 dB gain that fully balanced designs do, and that the printing error would be in the +6 dB note that was probably written by a marketing agent. The spec sheet is usually written by the engineering department, and therefore more accurate.
Jmcgrogan2,

Printing error from Krell… You might be right but it is a bit surprising.
Once again I’m not having too much time since I bought an XLR cable.
Anyway I called a friend who has also a Krell preamps and he has observed the same volume comportment. And what all of you guys tell me reaffirm that so I just guess they are made this way.

Thank you all.
I just thought of something you may want to try. Sometimes components have things like buttons and dip switches, either internally or externally, that are used for various reasons. (set gain, bal/se...). I would definitely take the top cover off your Krell and have a look inside. I'm almost positive Krell uses dip switches. It should only take a couple of minutes and would be well worth the effort.
Zd542,

The KRC3 has a gain button on the remote but actually this corresponds to other Krell preamps, it is disabled for the KRC3. And about internal switches, there are two of them but they don’t have anything to do with gain. I’m saying that cause I read the owner’s manual. I should check anyway as you recommend me.

Thank you
The Krell KRC-3 was a newer, less expensive version of the KRC-2. It used the same chassis, and probably the same remote. The KRC-2 had adjustable gain, low was 6 db,high was 12 db, gain was adjustable via remote or with a front panel switch.
The KRC-3's gain is set at 6.5 dB, and cannot be switched. That would explain why the gain switch on the remote does not work.