Restocking Fees, 30-Day Free Trials

You are really curious about that $25k amp. The online dealer will send it to you on a trial basis with a 15% 'restocking' fee if you decide not to keep it. $3750 gone...if you decide to send it back.

Do you think there should be a cap on restocking fees? Say for up to $25k in equipment, the maximum restocking fee is $1,000? Or, say a flat %5 fee across the board with the buyer paying shipping both ways?

It seems it would be more profitable just to send equipment out on a trial basis and hope it comes back.

What do you think is a fair way or fair fee to let audiophiles try out internet purchases?
128x128mitch4t
Jea,

Makes sense. But isn't there a difference when one buys direct from the maker via Internet? If I return something for whatever reason, and the maker tests it out and confirms it functioning like new before reselling? I could see whatever that costs as being baked into the "restocking fee" I suppose. The actual cost might vary for say speakers versus amp versus DAC, etc.
But isn't there a difference when one buys direct from the maker via Internet? If I return something for whatever reason, and the maker tests it out and confirms it functioning like new before reselling?

Is the equipment then resold as "B" stock? Discounted "B" stock price?

New is new....

Back in the 1970s I bought a new Nak cassette deck from a B&M dealer, paid full price. Factory fresh.

Got the thing home took it out of the box hooked it, played with it for a while and then, LOL, sat down to look through the owners manual.

To my surprise a salesperson's business card, one of the dealers employees, was stuck between two pages......
"Is the equipment then resold as "B" stock? Discounted "B" stock price?"

No, because the maker has certified it as functionally "new".

If cosmetic defects or other issues would remain, I would expect so then.

I just think things are a little different when buying direct from teh maker than via a middleman, which is probably why that seems to be the direction things are heading these days.
Although 85% of audiophiles are genuine and potentially serious buyers, in my experience there is a full 15% that are tire kickers, audiophile nervosa merry-go-rounders, or just individuals unwilling to pay reasonable discount prices. Some are even looking to try out well reviewed new gear in their home, even if unaffordable....and know they're not keeping it before the manufacturer or dealer even approves the home audition. A 15% restocking fee IMHO is reasonable and the only way these non-local sellers (direct manufacturer sales or online or non local dealers) can avoid these individuals and stay solvent. If you don't agree, as said by others, find a local dealer willing to loan his demo unit for a weekend, even if you have to reserve that weekend 4 weeks in advance....have patience or go to shows to audition gear that interests you, or buy used. Let's please remember that dealer cost is usually 55-60% retail for electronics and 50-60% retail for loudspeakers, depending on whether a distributor is involved. Yes, there are some unethical dealers and resellers out there but most are just trying to make a living.  
It's all about relationships.  I have two B&M dealers and one on-line dealer.  The on-line dealer offers no in home trials or returns.  I also get 15% to 20% of retail from him.  Both B&M dealers will let me do in home trials with anything in the store even unopened box inventory.  Neither one would charge me a restocking fee if I returned gear based on my dissatisfaction.  Of course, I give all three a ton of business so I am a known quantity.  My guess is that I would have to pay a restocking fee if  I walked into a new place with no buying history.