Restocking Fees, 30-Day Free Trials

You are really curious about that $25k amp. The online dealer will send it to you on a trial basis with a 15% 'restocking' fee if you decide not to keep it. $3750 gone...if you decide to send it back.

Do you think there should be a cap on restocking fees? Say for up to $25k in equipment, the maximum restocking fee is $1,000? Or, say a flat %5 fee across the board with the buyer paying shipping both ways?

It seems it would be more profitable just to send equipment out on a trial basis and hope it comes back.

What do you think is a fair way or fair fee to let audiophiles try out internet purchases?
128x128mitch4t
A 30 day return home trial offer......

How do you know the amp you are buying "as new" has not been sent out as new before, or a couple of times before you?

In the case of the dealer in question here I would hope any equipment returned would not be resold as new but would be sold as used and discounted the 15% + at least an additional 5% to 10%.

If the dealer is honest about the resale of a returned piece of equipment how does the manufactures warranty work?

Maybe the dealer resales the returned item as a in home demoed unit.....
With shipping costs and the real danger of damage when shipped and returned, it is a fools errand.
The OP's post is a perfect demonstration of how "audiophiles" are driving audio dealers out of business.
I can't agree with Br3098 that this is what is driving audio dealers out of business. The marketplace has certainly changed with the advent of the internet, and dealers are going to have to adjust to that. Many audiophiles are also stuck in a town or city where they cannot audition the gear that they are most interested in locally.

But in response to the OP's question, the return policy and possible restocking fee should be up to a dealer to determine based on the dealers' calculations of the potential financial gain and loss from these policies.

A returned product can no longer be sold as new, so the restocking fee can help the dealer take less of a loss for a returned item. Also, a restocking fee may separate the more likely buyers from gear swappers who just want to try something different out.

On the other hand, other dealers seem to have decided that not having a restocking fee will potentially attract more buyers to their business, and that makes up for the likely higher number of returns from buyers who are only out the cost of shipping.
The OP's post is a perfect demonstration of how "audiophiles" are driving audio dealers out of business.
03-02-13: Br3098
Br3098,

I assume you mean B&M dealers....

There is only one Hi-End B&M dealer left in my area.
His policy, and always has been his policy, you buy it you own it.

If you are serious about buying a piece of equipment and want to hear how it sounds in your home, connected to your system, the dealer will allow the customer to take home an in store demo unit for a few days.

The dealer asks what do dealers do with a returned item? Resale the item as new? Resale the item as used?

I guess a dealer that accepts returns, especially an online dealer, has a returned item section on his web page where buyers can buy returned equipment at a used price..... Surely online dealers don't resale returned equipment as new......