Using Musical Fidelity A3 integrated as preamp?

I have a Musical Fidelity A3 integrated amp and now want to get a McIntosh MC-275 or MC-2102 tube amp. The MF has a preamp output. Can I use the MF integrated as a preamp only with the new Mac amp? What is the function of the volume control on the MF when using it as a preamp only?
Thanks!
Donnie
Ag insider logo xs@2xgogitchershinebox
So you have the version of the MF A3 that has the preamp out, as not all versions of the A3 did. Yes, you can use the MF as a preamp only, PREAMP OUT (MF) would connect to the PREAMP IN/ Unbalanced Inputs (Mac). Volume control on the MF would control the gain/volume.

Rich
I had an A3 myself and used it as a preamp for a little while. I wasn't too impressed with the preamp section. It will hold you over for a while, but I suspect that you will want something better.
ss preamp & tube amp? not for this tuber..never the twain shall meet this way imo, however, tube pre and ss amp?...there you will have some fun...
Never understood the SS preamp/ tube amp pairing dislike. Have been using a Musical Fidelity CD Pre 24 with a Prima Luna PL5 tube amp for 7 years now and have had zero desire to change the set-up. Very sweet sounding. Opera Platea floor standers complete the set-up.

Rich
Rich, I'm sure you sound is doing it for you; as it should. Me? I sometimes don't know what I'm missing until I hear/exposed (can be a serendipitous experience) to what I'm missing. Sometime it takes a major leap in faith from an auiophool who knows my ear (for me) to make an untested/auditioned change. ALWAYS has brough me to a more enjoyable listening experience. Go figure