Found Perfect Amp For My Needs, But Is It Too Old?

While traveling last fall, I visited an old friend in Houston. Knowing I have, for a very long time, been serious about audio,and music, he introduced me to a neighbor, that he knew was also of like mind. I spent the better part of an evening listening to his wonderful system and talking audio.

What struck me the most about his system, a number of components of which I was familiar with, were the Jeff Rowland Model 6 mono's, which literally produced the best sound I have ever heard from a solid state amplifier (and I've been a died in the wool tubes guy). He was even kind enough to take the time to allow me to hear them connected to the preamp and cd player from his "office system" the Modwright LS100, and the Oppo Model 95, both of which I own.

My question surrounds the question of long term reliability, and/or servicing that older Rowland amplifiers might need. His performed perfectly, but the situation with those is likely a somewhat unusual case. He was the original owner, and purchased them locally. Since then, thay have never moved from their original place of installation in his listening room, while also being connected to dedicated power, as well as expensive power conditioning equipment. A rare, optimum situation.

I seem to recall reading often that caps need replacement in older amplifiers. And I expect servicing of the amplifers by Rowland might well cost very serious money. Possibly as much as buying some amplifiers?

Having heard those Model 6 monoblocks, I would dearly love to locate and buy a pair. But I need to be able to count on twenty years of service due to certain recent events. These would resolve an issue I've had since last year, in being unable to uncover any tubed amplifiers that will produce the power I need, that I can afford, and which will also not massively overheat my small listening area. And my experimentation with solid state has been less than completely satisfying.

Of course the other problem I am facing is that the Model 6's almost never appear for sale. Granted, there are a rare pair for sale at the moment, here, but both faceplates are badly scratched, and the asking price is far too high in that condition.
nightfall
JC, it's funny you should mention that. There was a pair of Model 6's sitting on Audiogon for almost a month. They must have just sold or the ad expired. The guy was asking $3500 for the pair. I was watching closely, especially because the seller only lived about 100 miles from me.

In the end, I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. Funds are tight these days, and I had just purchased a new preamp that pretty much left me broke (especially after buying some fancy tubes). It's all just a matter of right place, right time.....and being patient.

Cheers,
John
The sad fact is that it won't last forever without service. But, at least you have the Roland company to send it to. You know at least that it will be dealt with properly, although certainly at a cost. Not everyone is so lucky. Still, there are other ss products you haven't heard. Who knows, you might like something else even better. Something newer. As mentioned before, Bryston has a great warranty and Classe used to, though I don't know what it is these days. My old Classe pre was stated as lifetime!
Have had 2 pairs of Model 6, a Model 8T and a few of the JRDG preamps, all beautifully made stuff.

B2B-100 Amplifier

Please read the comments posted by me. These are just about ready to ship would you care to be part of the Beta Team ? There is little to loose lots to gain.

Good Listening

Peter
The OP wrote:
" These would resolve an issue I've had since last year, in being unable to uncover any tubed amplifiers that will produce the power I need, that I can afford, and which will also not massively overheat my small listening area. "

Have you looked into the Butler Audio TDB-2250 Tube/MOSFET power amp? 250 watts/ch. Go to this link:

http://butleraudio.com/tdb2250.php

-RW-
I cannot relate to Elizabeth's response. NBD, it's just not my ilk. Why o why would I want any audio product to last for 20 years? I owned a Bryston 4B for 10 years. True it had power slam dunk bass, but the 20 years means nothing to me. I would grab that used baby, enjoy it, and fix it when or if it goes. Relative to $$ spent, I would take used greatness rather than good longenevity. Who wants anything to last forever, except my mother. "buy good carpet. It will last 20 years!" Problem is I hated the carpet after 5 years and felt so guilty ripping it up because I spent so much. That was when I was young, naive, poor and stupid...