Found Perfect Amp For My Needs, But Is It Too Old?

While traveling last fall, I visited an old friend in Houston. Knowing I have, for a very long time, been serious about audio,and music, he introduced me to a neighbor, that he knew was also of like mind. I spent the better part of an evening listening to his wonderful system and talking audio.

What struck me the most about his system, a number of components of which I was familiar with, were the Jeff Rowland Model 6 mono's, which literally produced the best sound I have ever heard from a solid state amplifier (and I've been a died in the wool tubes guy). He was even kind enough to take the time to allow me to hear them connected to the preamp and cd player from his "office system" the Modwright LS100, and the Oppo Model 95, both of which I own.

My question surrounds the question of long term reliability, and/or servicing that older Rowland amplifiers might need. His performed perfectly, but the situation with those is likely a somewhat unusual case. He was the original owner, and purchased them locally. Since then, thay have never moved from their original place of installation in his listening room, while also being connected to dedicated power, as well as expensive power conditioning equipment. A rare, optimum situation.

I seem to recall reading often that caps need replacement in older amplifiers. And I expect servicing of the amplifers by Rowland might well cost very serious money. Possibly as much as buying some amplifiers?

Having heard those Model 6 monoblocks, I would dearly love to locate and buy a pair. But I need to be able to count on twenty years of service due to certain recent events. These would resolve an issue I've had since last year, in being unable to uncover any tubed amplifiers that will produce the power I need, that I can afford, and which will also not massively overheat my small listening area. And my experimentation with solid state has been less than completely satisfying.

Of course the other problem I am facing is that the Model 6's almost never appear for sale. Granted, there are a rare pair for sale at the moment, here, but both faceplates are badly scratched, and the asking price is far too high in that condition.
nightfall
Post removed 
I recently sold my Rowland Model 2 after 12 years.
I'd still have it, but I wanted a Rowland 625, even more.
My Model 2 was the stereo version of the Model 6.
The only repair I ever had done was a replacement of the bridge rectifier. One failed locally, & the tech at my Rowland dealer suggested I get mine replaced.

I want to stress I think thermal cycling is one of the worst things you can do to a solid state amp,-(Turning the amp on & off, daily). Whenever my Model 2 was in my system, it was on 24/7. These amps make little heat, and don't consume much power.

As far as power supply caps, the Model 2 had (1) per channel, the size of a small automotive ignition coil. The cap is mounted in an aluminum tube to avoid vibration. Thus cap replacement is straightforward. You don't have to have a tech desolder/solder multiple caps on a board. The caps in my amp were original. The Model 2 production began in 1994. My amp was serial #A20001, the first Model 2 made.

My amp is now in Florida. The new owner is quite happy.
My BPS is now in Japan. I liked the amp better in my system without the BPS.

You have good tastes Nightfall, I agree that JRDG's Model 6 monblocks were the best SS amps I have ever owned. I also owned a Model 2 as Danielk141 talks about, and I preffered them without the battery packs. I agree that the price for the pair on Audiogon now is too high. You should be able to grab a nice pair for $3000-$3500. Looking back, I regret selling mine.

As for re-capping, I think that sometime in the next 20 years they will need service, probably a cap change. However, whether you ship them to JRDG for this service or have a local tech provide it is up to you. I also agree with Danielk141 in that leaving them powered up 24/7 will not only provide the best sound, but will allow them to grow old gracefully.

IMHO, JRDG hit their peak with the 2/6/8/9 series of amps in the mid to late 90's. Earlier samples were a bit too dark, more recent models a bit too bright. He had it just right with the 2/6/8/9 amps.
Any of you gentlemen/women who have owned the Rowland have an opinion on the Model 112 amp.(150wpc/8, 275wpc/4ohm) circa 2002.