Does the volume control effect sound quality?

I recently had to change my volume control in a Dynaco pre-amp. I could not find the exact part, but based on specs, chose another dual gang control. However, it seems like the sound quality has changed so my top end is not as pronounced. Am i imagining things?

Thanks
burrjf
Are you saying Arthur's opinions are terrible or his website is not user friendly?
Atmasphere, I was trying to understand your post and if I read you correctly, are you saying that the circuit has to be engineered to accept and maximize sound quality for any particular type of volume pot?

There are some audio engineers that think a good standard volume pot will outperform many of the other more expensive designs. Croft is one of them.
Phd, you are correct. Start with the right value. Only then do you switch things up, if you will pardon the expression :), with better quality.

Dracule1, both. First, the site commits a web 1.0 error, that of endless rant/scrolling. Second, many of the conclusions don't seem to arise in a scientific manner, instead are based on deductions without understanding of the math behind them that is at play in each instance.
I agree, Atmasphere. There is a lot of ranting and raving on that site. Arthur is all subjective. I think it's an outlet for him to unleash his pent up frustrations in high end audio. Can't blame him for doing that.