Does the volume control effect sound quality?

I recently had to change my volume control in a Dynaco pre-amp. I could not find the exact part, but based on specs, chose another dual gang control. However, it seems like the sound quality has changed so my top end is not as pronounced. Am i imagining things?

Thanks
burrjf
Almost all rotary switches have a stiff disc wiper made out of a different material to the springier metal that the leaf/leaves are made out of.

'Almost all' *but not* all. I can think of several off the top of my head that use similar metals and some of those are not even 'high end' parts.

This is for a control going in a PAS-3 or similar circuit. If the values are not observed there will be a price paid in the form of bandwidth.
Hey Dracule1

Never had a problem with miller effect and inductive volume controls. Mainly because with an autoformer, worst case is at full volume when the output impedance of your source drives the miller directly. As you attenuate the autoformer transforms the excess voltage into current so things just get better. I have seen situations where an autoformer actually extends the bandwidth of a device over a resistive based attenuator because of its ability to increase drive as you attenuate to better deal with things like miller and cable capacitance.

dave
I'm with dave on this one.

However if you are just replacing the stock part, you can find replacements that will sound better for under $30.00.

Is this an older preamp? If so, you may have bigger fish to fry as far as the sound goes. All the older ones need new filter caps in order to work right.

OTOH if you are really trying to push the performance, it is possible without going completely nuts and many of the updates/mods are more important than the volume control. It does not make a lot of sense to install an expensive volume control unless you are also planning or already have these updates!
The oringal question was not so much about his Dynaco preamp for showing up the differences in volume control sounds, which will be magnified to a larger extent with higher rez amps.
But the reasons why they sound different! And why he was not imagining things.

Cheers George
Hi Dave, thanks for clarifying my confusion. I have your autoformer preamp(Bent Audio TapX), which competes with some of the best preamps out there (both active and passive), as long as you keep the interconnects short and impedances appropriately matched. However, I think an autoformer will work even better installed directly in the input of the amp, as I have found with resistor stepped attenuator.