rewiring preamp will it work

Hello,

I currently have a AES AE-3 DJH preamp. I absolutely love it, but I recently decided to get more into headphone audio, and now need two RCA outputs on my preamp. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to rewire it two have two sets of RCA outs instead of one (one of the input RCAs could be rewired as an output since I only use one input)? I was just going to disconnect the wires on the output and instead connect it in parallel with the original output. I just wanted to check with you guys if this would actually work, or would it cause any problems with the preamp.

Thanks so much,

I appreciate it,
Ron
linaeum66
Good comments above. As Kal indicated, loading is the concern. And using an external splitter or y-adapter, such as Viridian suggested, will result in loading effects that are identical to those that would result from the internal modification you proposed.

To assure that no sonic degradation occurs, the parallel combination of the input impedances of the headphone amp and the main power amp should ideally be 10 or more times as great as the output impedance of the preamp, at the frequency within the audible frequency range for which the preamp's output impedance is highest. If that criterion is not satisfied there may or may not be adverse sonic consequences.

The preamp has a specified output impedance of 560 ohms, which is most likely at mid-range frequencies. I wouldn't be surprised if it increases to 2K or 3K or so at 20 Hz, due to the output coupling capacitor it probably uses. So ideally you would want the parallel combination of the two load impedances to be 20K or 30K or more, or some rolloff of the bottom octave, and possibly other frequency response irregularities, may occur.

The combined input impedance of the two loads is equal to the product (multiplication) of their individual input impedances divided by their sum. For instance, if the headphone amp has an input impedance of 50K and the power amp has an input impedance of 100K, their combined input impedance would be (50 x 100)/(50 + 100) = 33.3K.

You would also want to avoid cable lengths between the preamp and the headphone amp and power amp that are particularly long, and/or use cables that have low capacitance per unit length, to avoid possible upper treble rolloff as a consequence of the interaction of cable capacitance with the preamp's output impedance. The TOTAL of the capacitances of the cables to BOTH the headphone amp and the main power amp will affect the signals that are seen by BOTH of those components. In other words, the capacitance of the cable to the headphone amp, as well as the capacitance of the cable to the power amp, will affect the signal seen by the power amp. And vice versa. If either or both of the cable lengths are particularly long, post back with the lengths, and the cable makes and models if known, and the relevant calculations can be performed.

Regards,
-- Al
Post removed 
Al, the DJH does not have coupling caps. It's direct coupled. I don't know how that influences impedance, but I wanted to point it out.

There is very little in the way of documentation on this preamp. I had one for several years and loved it. You should contact Cary if you have any technical questions. They are good about answering.
Thanks, Mingles. That could very conceivably help the situation. The question for Cary then, simply put, is what is the minimum load impedance they recommend for use with the preamp.

Regards,
-- Al
Adding a switch to choose between the two outputs would cure the impedance problems. Of course, anything added to the circuit (wire + switch) may degrade the sound ever so slightly. Probably less compromise than an unpredictable impedance mismatch however.