PreAmp recomendation please...

Greetings - thanks for stopping in. I'm returning to Hi-Fi post the children years. I'm looking for a preamp that would suite my tastes and I'm hoping to gleen insights from you more knowledgable folks as I've been out of the hobby for some time.

Current gear:
VPI Classic 2. Dynavector 17d3 cart.
Esoteric DV60 CD/DVD
Audio Research SP11
Denon HA500. MC step up
ASL Hurricanes
Coincident Super Eclipse III

My desire to dig deeper into vinyl peaked when a friend sold me a used Dynavector XV-1s. My thought was the the Denon step up was not commensurate of the new cartridge and I needed to address that.

After a deep reading here and elsewhere, the brands of phono stages that were within budget were; Aesthetix Rhea, Herron VTPH2, Zesto Andros, an Ear and a few others were on my list.

In my quest, someone in my local market had the Rhea for sale, it's reputation, remote, and ease of configuration made it very attractive. I had the opportunity to audition it in depth. When I asked my host what he was keeping, he had a Herron in his rig. While the Herron did have some tube rolling done, the Rhea had recent tubes replaced from the factory he felt they were broken in. The difference was stunning, the Herron was far more musical, and tonally accurate. Tighter bass and a more natural mid & highs. Okay, the Rhea is out.

While I was reading about the Herrons I found a lot of excitement for the Zesto, and where someone actually compared the two, the Zesto was preferred. I found a Zesto at a used price and purchased it.

So now my rack over flows, the Zesto inbound and with the 2 chassis Audio Reseach SP11, something needs to go. I have enjoyed the AR very much, however I know after listening to a Audible Illusions and a Doge in my system previously, the the AR is showing its design age, I think.

For me the AR was tonally rich, non fatiguing, though it was not as detailed as I would like. So I'm searching for a single chassis preamp that will take my system to a higher level. Based on lots of readings I have come up with a list of units I'd pick from. They are, in no particular order:

Herron VTSP-3A
Aesthetix Calypso
Hovland HP100
Modwright LS100
TRL Dude

I would have had the Coincident Line Stage in this list, however I need 4 inputs. I suppose I could stick with something like an AR Ref 3, I suspect for value, my money would be better placed elsewhere. Currently my amps don't have a balanced input so that's not a prevailing issue either.

I've also had some longer listening session with a modified MFA Lumescience, the octal 6sn7 is a great arrangement. That's why I'm keen on the Dude and Modwright.

So my question is this, I'd love to learn from those who have compared the 5 on my list. How did they compare in your opinion, what did you like, and most importantly - why?

The only way I'll purchase is used, this racket is too expensive otherwise in this fickle world of audioitist. While I might stretch to 4k, 3k or less is ideal as it would be easier to take because I could buy that much more vinyl.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Ian
ianderson
Not the same animal.this might me close to the CP @ 3500 retail.
Sanders buys sub assemblies and is able to provide decent product at decent prices.
My comments on the VTSP-3A(R02) are now up. You can see it here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1360710778&openmine&zzDodgealum&4&5#Dodgealum

Sorry--not sure how to do a link.....
Oh ok, well I would like to see what it looks like and what features it has...
"Bigkidz - Try the Coincident preamp direct heated triode. IMO nothing can beat them."

You missed this in my first post - "I would have had the Coincident Line Stage in this list, however I need 4 inputs". I agree, if the input issue was not present, and I found one on the used market this would have been a done deal, the design atributes really hit my hot buttons:

- Tubes based (this too is a show stopper without)
- Class A
- Resistorless signal path
- No negitive feedback

ASL Flora has all these atributes as well.