On High Current Amps and Regenerators

~

I'm hoping that you fine people can help me to clear up this question, and perhaps to explain the 'why' behind things.

I had a high power, Class D amp (Spectron) that had a long history of issues. When I first bought it, a friend said, "Feed your Maggies with good, clean power" and recommended the Spectron along with a PS Audio P500 regenerator.

Now that amp is out the door, and I'm lining up a replacement amp, a Spectron M3 MK2, new.

I've also replaced the P500 with a new and more powerful PS Audio P10 regenerator. In the P10 manual, it says to plug high-wattage-draw devices into the High Current zone, which has an in-rush limiter. I've plugged the Spectron amp into the HC zone with the current setup, as well as on the older P500.

From PS Audio's site: "From medium to large power amplifiers to the smallest pieces of source equipment, the P10 will work magic on your system’s performance."

Okay, cool so far.

But in a nice email discussion I had with Simon from Spectron today, he said, "From your last e-mail I learn that you have had PS Audio power conditioners with isolation transformers. When asked I STRONGLY recommend NOT to use such power conditioners with high power amplifiers like Spectron, Krell, Plinius etc. They slow signal and frequently blow fuses....."

So here's the rub: I live in an area that has sketchy power and frequent spikes, surges, and power outages, making protection pretty important. On any given day -- even with the sun shining -- battery backup devices for the computers trigger off in the house with no warning. The P10 is supposed to provide a level of protection for expensive audio equipment -- the very reason I bought it. (And, by the way, I've never blown a fuse in any component, just the 2.5A tweeter fuse on the Maggies from driving them hard.)

Simon has recommended passive devices such as the Prana Linebacker and Audience APR products, but they don't appear to offer any protection, just signal cleanup.

Am I putting my amp at risk by using the High Current outlet of the P10 Regenerator? Is it more at risk going straight to the wall with 'dirty' power? Am I clobbering the sound by using the regenerator? And, if the P10 is regenerating pure, 120V power, how could it possibly harm the amp?

A dedicated line and whole-house conditioner is not an option at this time.

So, if you will, please shed some light. I'm getting a bit confused by the conflicting recommendations.

Thanks,
Rob
rhanson739
Thanks for all the insight and recommendations.

No doubt that Simon knows more about this than me... a LOT more.

As a relative novice to this stuff, it can be difficult to reconcile what seems like conflicting advice, trying to make the right decisions without spending unnecessarily. That's why I love to have a resource like the good people on Audiogon.
Bo1972: "They have one thing in common, at the end they sls it again." What does 'sls it again' mean?

"Wenn I ask them why: they were not convinced enough." When you ASK them, they're weren't convinced? How does asking CONVINCE?
Have you had your electricity supplier check your electrical service? I work for a solar electric contractor and once or twice a year a customer calls complaining that the solar is causing problems like you describe like your battery backups triggering or lights flickering, etc. As the service department manager I recommend calling the utility and having them check their electric service from the pole or ground box to their meter. Most of the time their is a fault in their service and it is repaired by PG&E or whoever. I know this doesn't address your amp/regenerator issue but it might save you some repair bills on your equipment later on.
Bizango1 -- Thanks. That's an excellent idea that I'll follow up on. Once that is done, I may start looking toward dedicated lines and whole-house protectors.