ARC SP16 vs SP8

hay ive got an sp16 preamp to go with my vs110 amp. I was wondering if an sp8 would be an upgrade in both linstage and phono stage? have you heard both? How would you describe the 8. I find the 16 to be neutral but im not crazy about it's stereo imaging, almost to mono feeling for me. could maby upgrading my sumiko bluepoint 2 on my pro ject 2 xperience do the trick?
barruch86
I heard the SP-8 many years ago when I had an SP-6b. The SP-8 was part of an amazing system that a friend had consisting of a Quicksilver tube amp and modified Quad ESL speakers. The imaging and sound (esp. female vocals) was nearly the best I have ever heard. You have to leave a light on in the room or you will freak out thinking that you are not alone. The SP-8 and vinyl is a knockout combination. The only drawback is incompatability with low output MC cartridges.
I had an SP-6B as well and the SP-8 was a better sounding preamp. The SP-6B had a bit of a lumpy low end. I now run an SP-3C. Much better preamp.
I have the SP-16 with Vandersteen 3A Sigs, Red Dragon M-500 Mono Block Amps. Speakers are 8 1/2 feet apart and I sit about 10 feet away. Soundstage is wonderful. Imaging is first rate. The SP-16 is a very nice preamp and can be tuned with different tubes in the positions nearest the inputs. You should be fine with that amp/pre combination and experimenting with speaker placement, seating position and room treatment.