Newbie Question: Why is turntable volume so low?

Hi,

I'm a newbie trying to get back into analog. Over the last two months or so I've purchased the following components from the boards here and on ebay:

Mcintosh MX120 pre-amp
Mcintosh MC205 amp
B&W 804N main speakers
Denon DP A-100 turntable

The speakers are bi-wired, and I'm using the balanced input / output connections for the left and right speakers, as well as the unbalanced (RCA) connections to / from the amp / pre-amp. The turntable is connected via RCA cable to the aux/phono input of the pre-amp.

The issue is that when I play back a digital source (CD or DVD) the system is LOUD at a volume level of 20 (and sounds great). When I play the turntable, the volume has to be turned up to 40 - 50 just to get it close to listening levels (and sounds just OK).

Please tell me I didn't spend all this money to get back into analog and have it sound so disappointing! Any tips, tricks and / or advice? I'd really appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks!

Bill
bill_chilian
Bill, I guess my post from yesterday is not going to show up. I don't think your MX-120 is compatible with your present cartridge.

Rodman pointed out that you may have the DL-A100, which is a *low* output moving coil (MC) cartridge. This is most likely the cause of the low volume problem, due to its low output, if that is what's in your turntable.

There's a lot of difference in the output level/voltage between a moving coil (MC) cartridge, and a moving magnet (MM) cartridge.

The moving coil (MC) is a *low* output. I think this is what you have in your turntable and, most likely the problem. This type would need a separate phono preamp to work with your MX-120.

The moving magnet (MM) is a *high* output cartridge. This type of cartridge should work with your MX-120 with no problem.

I'm leaning toward you either need to get an extra outboard phono preamp for your present turntable/cartridge setup to work. This extra phono preamp would have to work with a low output moving coil (MC) cartridge, like the DL-A100, that may be in your turntable.

The other option would be to get a moving magnet (MM) high output cartridge, that should work with the MX-120's built in phono section.

I should have been more clear. I hope this helps.
Bill, when I posted, I overlooked the possibility of your turntable having a moving coil cartridge. Minkwelder asked about the cartridge type. Rodman said your Denon turntable normally comes with a DL-A100 low output cartridge moving coil (MC) cartridge. This type of cartridge has a real low output, in comparison to a regular moving magnet (MM) cartridge.

I was just guessing it had a higher output moving magnet type. But, after seeing it may have the low output DL-A100 cartridge, I'm leaning toward you needing an outboard phono preamplifier, just for the turntable with its DL-A100
cartridge.

A MM (moving coil) cartridge has a high output for a phono cartridge.

A MC (moving coil) cartridge has a low output. This appears to be the kind you have. Also, this low output type is most likely causing the low volume problem.

Your McIntosh MX-120 doesn't support the moving coil (MC), you appear to have installed in your turntable.

So, yes, I belive you do need a seperate outboard phono preamplifier, if it your Denon turntable has that Denon DL-A100 low output moving coil cartridge.

An outboard phono preamp needs to be capable of supporting a moving coil type of cartridge, since the MX-120 preamp doesn't.

Sorry for not being clear enough. I hope this helps.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but you don't necessarily need an outboard phono preamp. You could use a step up between the turntable and McIntosh preamp. This could be an active head unit or step up transformers. The cheapest path would probably be to try a Moving Magnet cartridge. I don't know what would go good with your arm, but Grado and Audio Technica make good entry level MM cartridges.

Ben
As Mr B mentioned; A good step-up X-former would be another way to go, without lowering the performance of which the table/cartridge combo is capable. What would be the point of buying a table listing for $2500.00, that comes with a cartridge, optimized for it's arm, and installing an entry-level transducer? The DL-A100 cart, lists for $500.00 by itself, and performs comparably with other MC carts, in that price range. The Denon 103 family of cartridges, had very nice presentation, imaging and sense of the recording venue. ( http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/mc_step-up_transformers_explai.html )
Hi Guys,

First, thanks for all the advice! I contacted both Mcintosh and Denon, and they both said the same thing, the way to go would be to get a step up transformer, and they both mentioned the same one, the Denon AU-300LC. I have one on order:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=954ff2fef8b37bc8c83c8f63a47f23d2&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=DENONAU300LC

and will let you know how it works out.

I'm pretty psyched to be back in the game!

Thanks!

Bill