Preamps waste of money?

I've been forced to reevaluate the role of preamps. The best sound I have achieved is result of adding a stepped resistor volume control at the input stage inside of my tube amp. All other options I have tried or auditioned including both active and passive volume control(autoformer and LDRs)have "colored" the sound in one way or the other to an unacceptable degree compared the stepped attenuator at the input. Has anyone had similar experience?
dracule1
going back to the original question.....you have to buy very good preamplifier (usually for $$$) to not to waste the money on it.....means really good preamplifiers are expensive but true....
I have an active system and the other day I removed preamp out from the system. Pass Labs XVR1 electronic crossover has volume controls which are not really passive as they are buffered but newer the less the sound significantly improved. It is always good idea to check the sound of the system without preamp, never know.

Regards
I like my Halo P3. I tried eliminating it, using Jplay's bitperfect volume control into a DL III, then into my amp. The sound became uber-detailed, but too bright for me. I have yet to try a Wyred For Sound DAC2, which would be my next move, so for now, the Halo stays. I think you can eliminate the pre with the right gear, but this is very system-dependent.
Preinka,

"you have to buy very good preamplifier (usually for $$$) to not to waste the money on it....."

If I can get this level of performance using $160 stepped volume control, a preamp is a waste of money no matter what the cost. Granted I have no need for switching or phono. I don't agree a really good preamplifier have to be expensive. Take for example, the Dodd battery powered buffer and preamplifier which can be had for under $2k. It can put some "$$$" preamps to shame.