Integrated Amp for Focal 1027be speakers

I'm looking a integrated amp for my Focal 1027be speakers. I previously owned the Sim I-7 before I decided to go with a 5 channel Classe SSP600/CA5100 set-up. Now I'm thinking about going back to a dedicated 2 channel system and selling my 5 channel system. I'm using the Oppo 95 for cds and the Olive 04hd as a music server with Synergistic tesla interconnect and speaker cables.

I could go with separates but I hear that many of the newer integrated amps are pretty close to separates. I would go with separates if I could get a deal. Since the Focals can sound a little bright on lower quality recordings, I'm hoping to find find an amp that would go good with the Focals. I prefer solid state equipment since I don't want to hassle with tubes. I've considered the Sim 700i, Pass INT-150, and ModWright KWI 200 with the optional built in DAC.
128x128ronrags
I ordered it on line so I haven't received it yet. I'll report my findings asap
It's been some time since I last wrote in this thread and at the time I was awaiting for the Pass INT-150 to be delivered. I considered selling my HT system and going back to 2 channel but decided to keep the HT system and use the Pass for the front channels. Once I received the Pass I realized it didn't have a HT bypass as I was told by Reno-hifi. The amp sounded well with my Focals but I decided to send it back since it didn't have the HT bypass. I finally decided to sell the HT system last month and now it was time to purchase an integrated amp. Since I owned a Sim and heard the Pass, I decided to try the Modwright KWI-200. I called Dan at Modwright and he offered a great deal on a demo so I purchased it with his built-in DAC. Dan offered a 2 week trial period so it was a no brainer.

I received the amp a week later and noticed buzz coming from the speakers only when I switched to the built-in DAC. The buzz increased as the volumn increased. I tried trouble-shooting by unplugging the amp from the Richard Gray power supply and unplugging the rest of my equipment but the buzz was still there. I called Dan and discussed the different trouble-shooting that I tried. He suggested I return the amp and he offered to send another unit. So I packed it up and returned it. Dan tested the unit and didn't hear the buzz. So he tried to re-create my set-up by connecting an Oppo 95 into the DAC but still no buzz. After exchanging phone calls, Dan agreed to send the new unit so we can trouble-shoot over the phone if the second unit had the same problem. I received the second unit 2 days later and it had the same buzz. But before I called Dan I decided to unplug the Synergistic power strip I used for the cable power warts. The power strip was located directly behind the amp. Well low and behold, the buzz was gone. I called Dan and he deduced the electrical fields from the power strip and power warts were affecting the DAC since it was located right behind the amp. Once I relocated the power strip all was well. I have to commend Dan for working with me and also sending a new unit even though it turned out to be a problem with a power strip and not the amp. Dan is a great guy and if anyone is interested in his products, give him a call.

Now that the buzz was gone, it was time to listen. The unit comes with about 50 hours of break-in so it will need some more time to break-in especially the built-in DAC. I began by playing music from the Oppo's analog output. It sounded good but not great. I then plugged the Oppo into Mod DAC and wow, what a big difference. The sound was smoother and sound stage opened up. The Mod sounded more 3 dimensional than the previous amps I had. I can't wait to hear the Mod break-in further and report back my findings.

Interested to hear how the modwright is working out for you. I have a pair of Focal 1007Be's and tried the INT30 and sent it back as I felt the 30 ran out of breathing room on some of the more percussive passages of large symphonic works. I am seriously looking at going with the XA60's with an XP 10.

Chuck
I'd love to hear a kwi200 with my Harneth C7es3's. I love these speakers paired with a high current amp. Good luck with your findings. I hope it sounds as nice as it looks. Don't forget to keep us posted.