Any one tried the Yamamoto A06 with AD1 tube?

I have been searching to find the sonic characteristics of the AD1 tube when compared to DHT like the 45, 2A3 etc.

I find the 45 mesh plate by EML to be the finest tube I know. I quite like the 2a3 EML mesh too, but find it doesn't have the beauty or musicality of the 45 mesh. Although it has more authority. So I wondered if being so linear whether the AD1 with its 4w was a super 45?

I haven't found any reviews of the yammy A06 (mk1/mk2 or mk3). Is it that rare?
chadeffect
Chad - I looked that one up too...you won't get me to see the New tube / NOS tube thingy. I'm stuck in my ways, so don't Rant. Not easy to make the Ol Madranker Laugh. Being somewhat serious now with this statement and meaning no disrespect.... I talk with guys like you and read threads and belong to clubs etc. Everyone always asks which OUTPUT tube sounds best but yet they never mention rolling the driver tubes or the rectifier tubes. Makes me wanna Burp. I can tell you, you can change the way your amp sounds easier and cheeper if you have 4 pairs of 6SL7's then find the set you like most and sell the other three. I can also tell you from experience different rectifiers have slight subtle changes.. And last but not least. After thinking about it I might be willing to sell my A-06-3 Yamamoto if your offer is good. Cheers
I own the A06-3 amp, using the EML AD1 tube. I also own the A08S amp and still do. Driving 106dB/W Lowther horns.

First of all, both amp sounds great. That's why I still keep both for use in rotation. In comparison, the A08S sounds more delicate, with finer brushstroke. The A06 sounds much more dynamic, with bigger scale, and revealed more details than the A08. Different taste.

Second, I found the A06 to be very sensitive to noise in the system, either RF or ground loop. I struggled with the noise issue for a while until I optimized the grounding of all connected components, after which the A06 becomes absolutely quite with zero noise even with my horn. The sound also improves significantly, becoming more refined.

Third, in my A06 only EML AD1 tube can be used. I have various vintage AD1s and all of them suffer from low-level hum. Perhaps due to my horn's high sensitivity. I believe the A06 is hum-optimized to the EML AD1 tube, which has different filament construction compared to vintage AD1s. This is the only shortcoming of this amp as I have collected those rare gems which I hope I can enjoy one day in a properly designed amp.

I cannot say if AD1 has that 45 magic as I'm not sure everyone agrees on what that is anyway. I do know both amp can sound wonderful with high-sensitivity speakers.
Thank you for posting this. With voltage stabilisers, one per AD1 tube, available from European importer, JacMusic, your amplifier might be adjustable for use with NOS and current production EML AD1 valves. When I placed my recent order for an A06-3, the importer noted that I had found the EML mesh plate 80 rectifier auditioned in an A08s sounded more open and alive than a NOS item. He offered to arrange manufacture of an EML mesh plate AZ4 rectifier for use rather than the NOS item amp is normally supplied with. I am looking forward to delivery (into 104db horns) after your description of the presentation character.
Madranker,

You are funny. I have run out of big words now. So you are safe! I agree with you regarding input tubes & rectifier tubes. The mesh no80 tube in my yammy made a important contribution to the sound I enjoy from my A08s.

I would be up for your A06, but I will need 240v version. I suspect you are 120v.

No burping madranker. The EML80 rectifier is very refined and quiet. Its way better than any NOS i tried. Unfortunately I cannot do much with the mushroom input tubes 717a.

Jacklee thank you for your post. Very interesting.

So Paul it's down to you! I'm comming over once it's run in. obviously I will gladly help you run it in :-). We shall have to compare amps too.