Impressions of PS Audio GCPH

I recently obtained a PS Audio GCPH and there are a few observations of the circuitry that surprised me, in the face of the advertised information provided by PS Audio.

First, as some have mentioned in the past, the noise performance limits the actual gain you can use with this device. For example, the 48 dB gain setting is only 48 dB when the front panel gain control is maxed out (full CCW). But if you use full CCW, the noise is intolerable. In my system (Parasound JC2 line/JC1x2 power/B&W 830d) I can use a max gain of 12-1:30 on the GCPH before I can hear audible noise. That is with the input source impedance loading set to 1K (which is typical for midband MM cart impedances). Setting the loading down to 100 Ohms improves noise a bit. The noise was not all hum, but mostly white thermal noise, which means the transformer orientation inside the GCPH is OK. At the volume control setting of 1:30 (12 being straight up), I measure the gain at 40 dB with 3 mV (at 1000 Hz) in, 300 mV out. Considerably under the 48 dB stated.

Checking the other gain settings I also found that the usable gain is about 6-8 dB below the marked settings. I checked the highest gain setting of 66 dB and got about 60dB actual usable gain (.5 mV input, 500 mV out) at the 1:30 volume postition).

I think this is still high enough for most cartridges, except for really low output (150 micro-volt) MCs. Its just that the advertised and marked settings are misleading, particularly if you need the higher gains.

A word about my noise tolerance criteria. I find noise level unacceptable if I can hear anything out of the drivers (with my ear at 6") at my normal listening volume. With my CD playback system (CA 840/Bryston BDA-1) the noise level is undetectable at this same level (and to even much higher gains), so the phono preamp should be able to reproduce this as well.

The other observation I found concerning was that the actual circuitry uses two monolythic IC circuits for the preamp. The device is an Analog Devices SSM2019B pre-amp. I was under the impression that the GCPH used only "fully balanced True Class A circuits through-out" (Ryan Conway, PS audio review on Audio Advisor), meaning discrete Class A circuitry. It is not. The SSM2019B is not differential balanced, and its questionable whether it is Class A biased either. The gain cell modules appear to be output buffers.
dhl93449
Mr D.,

Yes, It is a new device!!! 4 weeks ago I contacted PS-audio and someone named MArk, after a few exchange messages , suggested that he will find a dealer that I could take my GCPH there and eventually use different cables or loan me some cables and ... since then I didn't have any feedback from them!!?!

If there is an internal circuitry issue with my ps-audio it would be so shameful for Ps-audo that they don't have a quality check line on their products!

My guess is that the problem is the overall quality of GCPH which is on question, some people find it perhaps reasonalbe quality for $1000! I am not sure ... Honestly speaking that is a lot of money! that's why I expected a high quality sound out of it ... and that's why I am disappointed ...
Michel:

With all fairness to PS Audio, how can you blame them when the product sounds much better directly connected to the power amp? Adding any amp in between is most likely to reduce the quality of the sound, but that is not the fault of the GCPH.
As for the comparison with the AQVOX, perhaps the GCPH is inferior to that product, I don't know. I took a look at the 6moons review of this product, and it looks quite interesting. But remember Stereophile also gave the GCPH a rave review as well. So you cannot tell much about the sonic -preferences of a product from reviews. Sometimes when you make comparisons you get surprised, but you can only chalk that up to learning. The AQVOX appears to be more expensive (1000 euros list which is $1200-1300 US) and you can typically get a new/demo GCPH for $750 (as I got mine from Parts Express). But cost is another parameter that may not be all that relavent. Some folks like the CA products (if modified) and they are considerably cheaper than the GCPH. If you like the AVQOX that much, then sell the GCPH and move on. Life is too short to fret over how the GCPH should sound versus how it actually sounds.

You have nothing to lose by having PS Audio check it out. I cannot imagine anything about the circuitry in the GCPH that would degrade the sound through pre-amps that would not also be heard through a power amp. Unless you have the gain of the GCPH too high and you are overloading the pre-amp which would degrade the sound. But again, that is not the fault of the GCPH but how you are using it. I think I suggested you run your tests with the gain on the GCPH as low as possible if you are feeding a pre-amp.
Mr. D.,

To me GCPH issue is a closed case which is a worse pre-amp for $1000 as I mentioned in my previous message! That’s why I removed it from my system.

The answer to last part of your e-mail was already given in previous messages. It is not an issue of low/high gain...

The sound quality differences between phono preamp W/WO line pre-amp are normal at certain extent! However when I compare sound quality of GCPH with other ones in almost same price range , you may find GCPH is not well placed at all in the ranking ... this is when you realize the sound degradation between GCPH W/Wo extra line preamp is much worse than other phono preamps. That should be something wrong with its circuitry design … for this price range ($1000) there is a lack of honesty too! When they don’t mention min/max input sensitivity, or make believe you it is made in USA where it is made in china, where there is no any serious product quality check. Two days a go with a friend, I visited a hifi store (turntable guru store) in San Jose having an excellent reputation, during discussions the owner mentioned they used to be ps-audio dealer of GCPH, he got too many complains from customer and he is not caring any more gcph because of that! He was saying even Music Hall phone line ~$150 is better than gcph.

As for Stereophile review that you mentioned, Robert Deutch says it is a preview and not a review … he is not an expert for phono stages or turntables related devices… he quoted:” my listening to LPs is rather sporadic, and not so much for sound quality as for content: much of my LP collection is sufficiently obscure that it has not been—and is unlikely to be—released on CD, let alone SACD or DVD-Audio”. By the end he says it is a good match for ps-audio GCC-100 integrated amp …. Actually I wouldn’t consider it as a good review … Of course for analog components if this was come from Michael Farmer of stereophile I would have given more credit to the review !!! BTW look at Michael Farmer review in ST about AQVOX phono, it is a very good review …. Besides other reviews on GCPH, use only integrated amps rather separate devices, which changes the usage context …

I don’t have any intention to make publicity for any band like AQVOX or any other one! I presented my experiences on GCPH, AQVOX with different systems in order to be shared with other fellows in Audiogon…my previous comments would perhaps present a sense of reality in GCPH quality, testing in different circumstances, devices, cables and phono cartridges … BTW I don’t push the idea that GCPH is the best because I bought it … Regarding pricing, there is always a price degradation on second hand devices even demos or used ones, I think there is always a way to find an AQVOX phono as used (~$700-$800 instead of $1250) like the one your gcph that you bought at $750 instead of $1000+tax …

I got GCPH (HUGE mistake) as a temporary solution for using with my MC cartridges before moving toward a robust phono line like C2300. This unpleasant experience just motivated me more to move toward a good integrated phono stage… If you use CD player and other sources in the system, it seems for a >$25K whole hifi system, it is better to have an integrated phono stage in a preamplifier even with a higher price tag ... other wise one should invest in extra cables, power cables and not having the same sound quality as expected …
10,000 words on complete and utter BS about this unit.  You had no idea of what you were doing from the outset.

Look at the first paragraph.
" That is with the input source impedance loading set to 1K (which is typical for midband MM cart impedances). Setting the loading down to 100 Ohms improves noise a bit."

Moving Magnet cartridges need to be set to 47,000 ohms per the manual and any noob who has a MM cart would know this! ANY other setting is used for Moving Coil or MC cartridges.  THAT is the reason you heard what you did.  You then changed your story to state MC carts... more BS.

Then you go on about 60db gain for an MM cart. Wrong move. No wonder you heard hiss from 6 inches away... again you have no idea of what you are doing, NOR the BALLS to apologize for your idiotic ramblings. Also, the gain cells are not output buffers, further spewing more BS to the world. 

You rambled FOREVER about absolutely NOTHING.  You are the only person out of thousands spewing this false garbage.  I hope that used buyers realize that it is a great unit, and the embarrassment of this process made you realize that you no longer wanted the unit. 
So nipplestiltskin, this simmered and bubbled for FIVE YEARS and finally boiled over? ;^)

(I have no opinion about the GCPH either way as I never had one in my system.)