Impressions of PS Audio GCPH

I recently obtained a PS Audio GCPH and there are a few observations of the circuitry that surprised me, in the face of the advertised information provided by PS Audio.

First, as some have mentioned in the past, the noise performance limits the actual gain you can use with this device. For example, the 48 dB gain setting is only 48 dB when the front panel gain control is maxed out (full CCW). But if you use full CCW, the noise is intolerable. In my system (Parasound JC2 line/JC1x2 power/B&W 830d) I can use a max gain of 12-1:30 on the GCPH before I can hear audible noise. That is with the input source impedance loading set to 1K (which is typical for midband MM cart impedances). Setting the loading down to 100 Ohms improves noise a bit. The noise was not all hum, but mostly white thermal noise, which means the transformer orientation inside the GCPH is OK. At the volume control setting of 1:30 (12 being straight up), I measure the gain at 40 dB with 3 mV (at 1000 Hz) in, 300 mV out. Considerably under the 48 dB stated.

Checking the other gain settings I also found that the usable gain is about 6-8 dB below the marked settings. I checked the highest gain setting of 66 dB and got about 60dB actual usable gain (.5 mV input, 500 mV out) at the 1:30 volume postition).

I think this is still high enough for most cartridges, except for really low output (150 micro-volt) MCs. Its just that the advertised and marked settings are misleading, particularly if you need the higher gains.

A word about my noise tolerance criteria. I find noise level unacceptable if I can hear anything out of the drivers (with my ear at 6") at my normal listening volume. With my CD playback system (CA 840/Bryston BDA-1) the noise level is undetectable at this same level (and to even much higher gains), so the phono preamp should be able to reproduce this as well.

The other observation I found concerning was that the actual circuitry uses two monolythic IC circuits for the preamp. The device is an Analog Devices SSM2019B pre-amp. I was under the impression that the GCPH used only "fully balanced True Class A circuits through-out" (Ryan Conway, PS audio review on Audio Advisor), meaning discrete Class A circuitry. It is not. The SSM2019B is not differential balanced, and its questionable whether it is Class A biased either. The gain cell modules appear to be output buffers.
dhl93449
Michelzay:

Forgot to ask, what inputs are you plugging the GCPH into when you use TT>GCPH>MX135? A high level Aux input, right? The same one you use when you use a MC cartridge with the GCPH?

You of course cannot connect the GCPH into the phono stage of your MAC pre-amp. That would be disasterous (you are double RIAA EQing!)

If you are going into an AUX input on the MAC, perhaps therein lies the problem. Maybe you are overloading the inputs with the output from the GCPH. Does the sonic degradation stay the same if you turn the level control of the GCPH way down and use the MAC for volume adjustment?
Since a few days ago I left GCPH on and connected to the system, for break-in purposes. I tried again this morning and I was amazed how sound quality was improved. Perhaps after more break-in process the sound quality will improve. I read somewhere it would takes about 300 hours!. As for gain/sound adjustment, I use 48db knob and switched to 66 db where I put volume on 1:30-2 at GCPH, as it is recommended in the web sites. the result is much better in this case.

perhaps with more break-in process, the sounds will improve further. As a comment the PS audio has been very supportive ... thanks ...
66 dB? Why do you need so much gain for a MM cart? At 66 dB and 1:30 to 2 you are getting about 60 dB total gain which is x1000. For a nominal 4 mV (at 1K Hz) MM cart output, that is 4 volts output!

That's a lot for a line amp input.
Thank you DHL93449 for your comments.

for this purpose, I used balanced or (one of 11)unbalanced inputs of MX135. In either cases, the sounds degrades and looses a lot of details once signal goes through GCPH+Mx135. There has been some improvement with break-in process and perhaps it will get better but maybe not too much! I need to add GCPH+AMP sounds very good better than SIM-LP5. Of course it doesn't have the same deep bass and mid-range quality offered by MX135 but it still be decent.

Your comments on input capacitor stage seems to be a good explanation of this problem. It requires some knowledge/experience before getting into the GCPH box. Since my undergraduate degree on EE, I haven't touch measurement instruments which is a shame! In the other hand, I wouldn't spend too much money like twice of $gcph for cables. Unfortunately I am not as handy as you are to make changes as you did.

Right now I use AT440 and Shelter-201 which are not bad at all, maybe it is not as good as AT150 but the details and bass is pretty good. I thought instead of spending on more expensive cables just purchase more sophisticated MM cartridge. An alternative is to use only MM cartridges with MX135 where its quality is fantastic. and sell my MC cartridges+GCPH that I received as birthday presents!

Besides I am so tempted to replace MX135+gcph with a MC2300 which its quality is far superior. I need to think more seriously about this last option ...however I still hope to resolve the gcph problem ...

I set it first at 54db and volume knob to 3:00 - 4:00, the sound with MX135 was too compressed and not too much details. As a test I changed it to 66db @1:30-2 and sounds was much more open.

Without MX135, I used also the same combination and found more details on mid to high-frequency ranges compared to 54db @2:00.

If you ask me why? I am not sure about it...