bel canto and wyred 4 sound

i am looking into going class d amplification and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these manufacturers. also wondering if the price differences are warranted in terms of results. they would be hooked up to mg 12 maggies.
bianchi27
The Bel Canto is a Class D amp that goes for 1.5 to 2 times as much as the W4S. I understand it is also a great amp and makes sense for someone thinking of spending $2K to $3K on an amp or integrated amp.

I really like the simplicity of the W4S and how I can completely black out the lights on the amp and DAC when listening in a darkened room. It is incredibly easy to use.

Since my budget topped at $2K the W4S STI500 was an easy choice. There seems to be a lot of quality parts and good construction for its price range. I replaced a 55 lb Class A and A/B amp along with separate hybrid preamp with one simple box that puts out 2.5 times the power and has done amazing things with the bass response of the 1.7s.
Well Ron, it has been a while since I have been to this page. But over the weekend I picked up a couple pair of speakers. A pair of Thiel CS6 and a pair of Maggies (SMG-A, I think is the model). I'll give 'em a listen with the class D Bel Cantos

My experience so far with the Thiel's (very power hungry speakers) is that the Bel Cantos don't seem to have enough power for them (@ 1,000 watts at 4 ohms - which is what these speakers are). Instead I am using my Mark Levinson 125/250 @ 4 amp which seems to have a much, much better ability to power the Thiels.

But those little maggies don't need much power and I will hook the BC's up to them this coming weekend and give it a shot.
I would be curious to see if the W4S STI500 would make a difference on the Thiel's. I feel that the STI500 has an unlimited amount of power with my Magnepan 1.7s. At any listening levels that I am comfortable, the STI500 seems to be cruising along.

Reading some threads on both the Bel Canto and W4S integrated amps, the W4S seems to come out very well on build quality. Don't know if that is true or just opinion.

Just made a very simple change in my system - removed the Better Cables digital cable and replaced it with a Xindak digital cable. I am not sure that this can be the case but the music flows much more realistically and is much more involving than before. Very surprised at the results.

Working on upgrading my XLR cables connecting my W4S DAC2 and W4S STI500 from Morrow MA1.1's to either Morrow MA4/5, AudioQuest Colorado or MIT Shotgun 3.3. Looking forward to seeing if top dollar (for me) cables can bring out additional detail and musical realism.

As the W4S STI-500 has fully broken in, I would say that the characteristics are:

1. Incredibly smooth

2. Good detail, but not yet up to Class A amps - this has actually surprised me because of the STI500 reviews indicated that this unit has tremendous detail. I hope upgrading my cables will provide additional detail.

3. None of that Class A/B amp harshness

4. Unlimited feeling of power.

4. Decent feeling of space and depth - better than my previous amp.

5. I am just a frustrating step away from hearing three dimensional musicians playing in my room. Right now, I have clarity but it just misses that spooky three dimensional feel that I was beginning to get with my previous Class A up to 10 watt, Class A/B to 200 watt amp.

Limiting factors: I am still using a $100 APC UPS power supply providing surge and filtering for my audio equipment. Cables connecting DAC and Integrated are about $140 - good but not great. My music server is a $350 NETGEAR 9150 with 500gig hard drive. I burned my CDs to the NETGEAR using Microsoft Windows Media in a rather haphazard way. The files are lossless, but I have been reading on the net that Windows Media does not necessarily burn an "exact copy" of the CD.

Overall I would give the STI500 a Very Good rating.
Ronwills, yesterday I put a 10 gauge power cord on my Wyred ST-250 and I tell you the truth, the sound open up more,got more natural, and it was already great! I'm shocked at this....
I am using my ST-500 with Pure Note (TRS audio) Alluvion XLRs. These proved to be an excellent match between my w4s DAC2 and ST-500. Look for low capacitance XLRs with mostly air-spaced conductors. The Alluvions are cryo treated silver-palladium ribbons. Also later you can change the fuses on the ICE modules of the amp. I also changed my powercord on the DAC2 with a Neotech NEP-3003 cord (OCC copper based and cryo'd) with Furutech ends. This opened up the soundstage alot without being harsh at all. Had almost the same impact sonically to when I installed my pure notes.

Cheers!