Tweaking the Magnepan 1.7s

Looking to tap the Audiogon crowd to come up with inexpensive tweaks for my new Magnepan 1.7s. Here is what is planned so far:

Have room treatments. I am a bigger fan of sound absorption than sound dispursement. I have four 2' x 4' x 2" sound absorption panels that sit on each side of my stereo shelving unit between my speakers. Does a great job of removing the reflections off of my electronics.

Having Magnepans for 30+ years, I do like to deaden the front wall behind the speakers a little bit. From hanging an oriental rug to curtains or whatever. Will be trying out some of these ideas with my new location.

Mye stands. I am waiting for my bank account to grow a bit before I go for these. I believe Mye has the new updates for the 1.7s (although, I can't see any difference between the 1.7s and my old 1.6s).

I want to bypass the fuse and that stupid metal jumper with the least disruption of the speaker itself. Anyone remove the back panel and replace with better speaker connects? If so, what do you recommend? How about wiring tips - anything I should be know before I start the project?

Debating on using a 1 ohm resistor to tame the high end. Any suggestions for high quality 1 ohm resistors?

Anything I am missing?

Sound notes: full description of my experience with Magnepan 1.7s and the electronics I am using in other Audiogon threads, just search for ronwills.
ronwills
Kehonka, I read somewhere that Wendell Diller of Magenpan suggested try them both tweeter in and tweeter out. He said that a majority of people prefer them tweeter in, but some like them tweeter out. It may depend on your room.

Also, to those who are comparing mylar front/mylar back -- remember to flip polarity when you do, otherwise the difference in polarity can confuse the comparison. As I recall, Magnepan switched to mylar front to get a brighter sound, it was mentioned in I think TAS when they first did it years ago.
WSlam.
Just keep any drunks from knocking them over.

On a Serious note, check out MYE stands. They have a following and the claims are reasonable.

Also, Magnepan is a DIY dream speaker. Crossover? Stands? Reframe? all have followers.

I recently rotated my panels in place. I now listen to the Pole Piece side, not the mylar as Magnepan would have you do. Read my other posts for a description / rave.

That being said, a complete reframe in WOOD is in order. Wood absorbs the vibration which the MDF rejects.
I'm taking a woodshop class right now, and next year at this time will be well under way in my 'project'. Some nice Sapele frames and junk out the MDF.
The Mye stand isn't quite an option for me as I live in HK. They charge $7xx just for SHIPPING alone to HK...
The reluctance people show about using a resistor for the tweeter is amusing. In general, tweeters are more sensitive than woofers and all crossover networks include a "tweeter padding resistor" to achieve balance. Because Magnepan makes its own tweeter and woofer they are almost balanced without a resistor. Magnepan gives the user the choice of value...1.0 to 1.5 ohms is typical. Many crossovers run 2.5 to 3.5 ohms.
Good for you, Josh.

Try 'em all 4 ways for that matter....tweeter in / out and Mylar front/back.

I wonder if Magnepan started shipping with the tweeter resistor at about the same time as they flipped 'em to pole piece back?

I've tried absolute phase swapping and hear little difference on MOST material.
My sub, however, appreciated the phase switch being flipped after I rotated the panels.....Makes perfect sense.