Large brass devices on top of power amps ?

Browsing through photo gallery of several systems I have seen several amps where a large brass disc are placed on top of the amp.
I would really like to know what are the results adding these brass devices.
128x128terryakhan
Hi 6550c

I believe the seller who puts an apple in every photo with the equipment they are selling is trying to show the scale and size of the item. I check a collectible website often and I find that with a new statue they always include a picture of it with an apple for reference. The last picture has an apple with the Luke Skywalker statue.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=3000131&ref=feature_3000131

I've seen audiophiles use cans of soda to illustrate how big a port on a sub is or the size of a capacitor in an amp. Quite funny sometimes what people do.
Jed,
putting something in a photo is a common way to show scale in a photograph.

for example, I may intentionally include a bit of properly lit white so I can adjust color better. In photographing small objects (macro) I may include a ruler or sometimes a coin.
In landscape photography of the 'here I am' variety...not necessarily for art, but simply for the vacation album, including something of known size always helps people relate to the photograph.

Sure, Everybody knows how large a soda can is. Good idea, no?
Krooney, since electronics cannot be overdamped, often designers leave the little tweaks like that to the end user, IOW, for the most part, they have no opinion about it, other than 'have fun and don't zap yourself' :)
Atmasphere,

Indeed, I like your response--good motto for this hobby--"Have fun and don't get zapped"!
I may use an 8oz. can of soda on my amp pics...the it will look like I have MONSTER AMPS!!

Pepe