Prima luna dialogue 2 tube rolling

Hello all,

I would appreciate your input on this. My current set-up is a PL dialogue2 with the stocktubes, Klipsch forte2 w/crites crossover/tweeter/midrange. I enjoy the sound and I’m re discovering my cd’s/lp’s and listen a lot. However, sometimes I would like a bit more warmth in the sound without giving up detail/dynamics.

So after some reading on the internet it didn;t took long till I’d tried a set of Tung Sol 12ax7’s 1st impression was wow, more air, larger better focussed image, more detailed, perhaps a tad warmer. Unfortunately it also added a bright harsh tone to the top end on a lot of records which was very unpleasant to listen to so for now I’ve put the stock 12ax7’s back. Shame, without the harshness it would be a step up.

Sometime ago they was a tread by forum member Dramapsycho concerning the PL dialogue, ending up with Sylvania 6l6’s tubes + some Telefunken and solve a harshness problem. I’m now considering SED 6l6 tubes as they are described as the best alternative to NOS several times and they’re not as expensive. Will this in the right direction? Anybody has experience with the SED tubes, of other pre/power tube suggestions ?

I would like to hear you input, thanks
delta_hf
I think you can use EL34 in this. I have the PL2 and the EL34's were a much smoother sound then the kt88's.

try some Mullards in the preamp section if you want some warmth
Yes use the fairly expensive true NOS made in Great Britain Mullards for your 12AX7s. I think it will solve your need for more warmth.
If the Mullards seem too warm to you; try Amperex. Keep in mind; the more transparent/accurate the tube, the more revealing your system will be of poor recordings, and/or any other weak link upstream(ie- a bright or grainy CDP). Also- anything you do to extend/accentuate your highs, will be rendered even more prominantly through your Klipsches.
The NOS ECC83 Mullards, which made before 1970's, during 50's are the best, imo. They are not dull or to warm or what ever, they are just great. I rolled lots of ECC82, ECC83 in my previous Primaluna Prologue Two and ended up with NOS GEC KT88 + ECC83 Mullards + CV4003 Mullards. Even in my CDP still sit 2x ECC82 Mullards. I also highly recommend NOS E83CC TESLA or ECC803S at least, but dont mix up them with general ECC83 or fakes, cos they are nothing alike, here you can read all info you need http://www.jacmusic.com/nos/ECC83-part-numbering1.html

Further, I tried all kinds of TUNG SOLS, TELES, BRIMARS, TUNGSRAMS, PHILIPS, SYLVANIAS, but still prefer truly NOS Mullards. You can make some nice combination, where not only the Mullards are in, but say TUNGS SOLS BLACK GLASS + Mullards, but better would be BRIMARS and MULLARDS, but than again, made during 50's or earlier 60's

One last, but sure not least, is Mullard CV491=ECC82, but than again, sorry for mentioning this over and over again, but you need the one from 50's, this one
http://www.tubedepot.com/nos-12au7-mullard50s.html

I know that it may sound bit to Mullard, but thats my conclusion that I have based on years of tubes rolling, where folks see them as warm only, which is not the whole true, imo.

About EL34. I only tried NOS TESLA's and found them a very good alternative to NOS GEC KT88.

Good luck and hoping your wallet can handle it:)