tube watts vs transistor watts?

I have always been told your loudspeaker does not need as many tube watts as transistor watts. Why? If the loudspeaker manufacturer says it takes 200 watts for power handling how many tube watts does it take?
seadogs1
Tvad, I'm sure you know everything I posted here (ever). You *probably* meant "maximum" instead of "minimum", but that wasn't what I was getting at. It's not just that we humans like one kind of distortion better than another. Whereas for tube amps, the line into "too much distortion" is somewhat arbitrary (1% THD? Why not 5%? 0.1%?), for SS amps, it's much more straightforward: they are either pretty linear, or catastrophic.

When I listen to Mahler's 3rd with the tube amp, I occasionally sigh or smile when the little guy runs out of gas, since it's not so bad and what are you going to do. When I turn on the 275 watt SS beast, I get the symphony in its proper loudness... with a finger right on the remote ready to stop the thing. Living dangerously.

Re-reading the OP again, maybe he was just asking if his speakers would blow up? Man, don't worry, if you can afford a 200 watt tube amp, you can afford new speakers. :)
Stanwal, aside from snide disrespectful remarks, did you bother to look at the graph at the Stereophile site that I told you about?
I'm sorry that you have to take that tone, it suggests you have other problems.
Now do go to that graph, then come back and tell us what precisely you see in that graph that motivates you to show so much contempt.
Post removed 
09-24-10: Sounds_real_audio

>>That is the first time in 7 years that anyone on Audiogon has agreed with me.<<

That speaks more about you than anybody else.

>>Having said that I would like to die knowing that on just one occasion Tvad agreed with me.<<

Please Grant, agree with him. Everybody wins.

>>My casket will be open for viewing.<<

Please reconsider.
You know Audiofeil I do appreciate you monitoring this site to make sure nothing bad happens but could you focus a little more attention on the hobby in get off my back.

If you would do that I will close my casket....... No viewing allowed. My kids have been instructed to take the tubes out of my deHavilland Mercury and my GM-70's and place them in my pants.... hopefully that will help me not just to look my best but stay warm in the here after. (dealer disclaimer)

You guys are the best.