Herron VTPH-2

I've read the reviews and searched the archives but thought I'd reach out to the "community" for any additional input on this phono preamp. It would replace a Whest PS.30 in my system. I'd like to try tubes as long as it is quiet and neutral. Thoughts?
dodgealum
I recently went to a VTPH-2 from a eastern electric minimax phono. Now the mini max had about $300 worth of carefully selected NOS tubes and I continue to think the minimax is the best buy in phono amps, that being said, I like the Herron more. It is very very quiet. I can detect no noise from the pre or phono amp. I also have the Herron VTSP-3A pre amp. The phono is very musical, improved bass over the Minimax, more detail, well quiet a bit more detail. Also really helps create a large well focused sound stage, each piece easy to identify yet brings all together as a musical whole. I have compared it the the Aesthetix Rhea which I had for a few weeks. The Rhea is all about tubes, very tube like sound, airy, bloom. Also nice but not very neutral. I did compare my minimax some time ago with phono stages from Manley (steelhead, much nicer), sutherland the nicer one, prefered the mini, an ARC forget which, prefered the mini and some lesser ones. Overall I find the Herron is very very quiet, the quietest tube phono I have tried, very neutral with great detail and dynamics. Not a lot of eye candy on the front, no knobs or dials, but it really is a top piece. Also, I am demoing the herron cables and at least for herron electronics I am feeling very foolish for spending what I already have on interconnects.
Hi Dodgealum, all that I can say is I agree with everything that Davt has said in his response. I also have the Herron VTSP-3A as he does and the sound is wonderful. The VTPH-2 is so very quiet that you hear no tube noise within any listening level that I have tried.
I suggest that you go on Herron's web site and read the reviews by Roy Gregory and Martin de wolfe.
Regards,
Carter
I previously owned the VTPH-1 MC plus and couldn't be more happier with its outstanding sound (stock tubes fully replaced with Telefunkens).

I do agree that his design is somewhat stuck in the 80s as far as cosmetics are concerned. That could be a minor point for some folks but I just wish he could make the unit look better with a few minor updates (thicker faceplate with choice of Silver or Black finish,MC/MM selector knob,phase switch,etc..) but not too dizzy looking like the Steelhead or EAR 324,etc..

Now that KH combined the MM and MC into one box with roughly the same price tag, that would make the VTPH-2 so appealing and outstanding value. I would put Telefunken tubes in there to make the VTPH-2 sounds like a million buck!
Just what I am looking for--thanks guys. I want to try tubes BUT want it to be super quiet and very neutral, which just a hint of bloom and dimensionality that tubes often bring. Sounds like the Herron is the ticket. As to the styling, I actually like the look of the thing--basic and purposeful with out a lot of "eye candy"!