Class "D" amp? I do not have a clue. Do you?

I have been a serious audiophile for 30 years and class "D" audio is new to me. Most important, what do they sound like?
orpheus10
I don't know much about class D but I have owned the Bel Canto Ref1000 and they could not drive the bass section of my speakers. I am not saying it is an easy job for any amplifier but I currently have the Spectron mono blocks and they do a fine job. There is no comparison between these amps with my speakers. They are not in the same league period.
Coxhaus - I'm surprised since I know audiogoner who drives with Icepower speakers with nominal impedance of 1 ohm.
Isn't Spectron a class D amp as well? There is probably more to it than just impedance alone.
I do not know the technical details of class D but I have owned the Bel Canto Ref1000. The Ref1000 could not drive my Eggleston Savoy speakers. The bass was lacking and the music was flat. My wife called it 1 dimension. My speakers, I agree are very hard to drive, but I now have the Spectron mono blocks and they quite fine.
The problem with my speakers are they are 8 ohm not low ohms. My speakers suck down as much power as you can feed them. Most amps don't make power until you get into the low ohms.
Then I suspect that you Icepower having huge damping factor at low frequencies (about 4000) overdamped your speakers making very lean bass?