Class "D" amp? I do not have a clue. Do you?

I have been a serious audiophile for 30 years and class "D" audio is new to me. Most important, what do they sound like?
orpheus10
Regarding Class D application and DC offset...I discussed this with Richard personally, and just found a pertinent entry on the Vandersteen website...in the technical section. You have to wade through lots of entries, but you will find the DC offset entry there. It just might be easier to call Vandersteen and speak to him personally.....you will find him a knowledgeable, and fine person to talk to. I am running Ayre amps which have a protection circuit to turn off the amp if it senses any DC offset.
To much bass could have been a side effect of the Legacy speakers, but i doubt it.Its more likely my amp has a more realistic creation of the sound ,where if its on the disc there will be plenty of it compared to class d where it kinda of overtook the end to the point of distraction.
reveiws are meaningless especially when it comes to these amps,only mag that had it close was hi fi critic
D amps also have much smaller power supplies, so some may lack in the ability to deliver a lot of current. Hence, despite high "power ratings," some may struggle with difficult to drive loads.
Afc - Ref1000 can drive 2ohm delivering 40A. Size of power supply has nothing to do with it since 2" toroidal transformer at 100kHz can pass as much power as 10" toroidal transformer at 60Hz. In addition voltage doesn't drop since it is line and load regulated. Traditional "linear supply" needs a lot of caps because of voltage drop and necessity to filter out 120Hz (difficult to filter out and audible) vs. SMPS high switching frequency (non-audible and easy to filter out). A lot of caps in parallel have a lot of inductance - not desirable since it is in series with the speaker. SMPS is in reality class D amp (origin of class D) and got bad rap only because of cheap computer power supply implementations.

"A Class D amplifier has one output stage fully "off" for half the cycle"

High efficiency of class D is not caused by switches being OFF. Speaker is always connected by Mosfet switches (there is no OFF) but direction of current changes. Icepower uses single supply and full Mosfet bridge reversing output while Hypex uses half bridge connecting output to positive and negative supply. Efficiency comes from the fact that Mosfets in ON state have very low resistance (in order of 20mohm).

Replacing in class D analog voltage with analog time (duty cycle) allows to get rid of nasty problem of output transistor nonlinearity that in class AB is corrected by deep negative feedback that causes transient intermodulation (TIM) and exaggeration of odd harmonics (unpleasant bright sound).

I don't understand mentioned output voltage offset of class D amps. It has as much offset voltage as any other class amp without output capacitor (it uses feedback/servo to zero output). Self zeroing is probably responsible in my Rowland for 5Hz (and not DC) bottom frequency range.