NOS Tubes for Rogue Tempest II

Looking for some suggestions replacing the stock tubes. I want a little more transparency or pop yet retaining overall smoothness and good bass. I want to start with the 12AX7's and the 6SN7's first. I was told the Sylvania 6SN7 GTB would be a good one but there are several versions so I am a little confused. Also the same with the 12AX7 what is a good value without breaking the bank.
Ag insider logo xs@2xsamzx12
Hi Sam - I don't have a Tempest, but a pair of M180s, and have been experimenting with the 12AX7 tubes recently. I called Rogue before starting and asked for some tube recommendations, and they were very helpful.

I tried NOS Mullard CV4004 and my impression is that it is warm and laid back. I also tried NOS Sylvania 5751 and prefer it to the Mullard - it is clearer and seems to have more life to it (in my system), and it throws a nice soundstage.

I also tried a new production Tung-Sol for kicks and giggles and actually found it to be better than I'd expected (this is the first new production tube I've tried). It is a different sound than the Mullard and Sylvania - much brighter with crisper bass, overall just more "concise". Not bad for the money though, IMHO.

I've also got some NOS Telefunkens en route - I'm curious to see how they work out.

Good luck!
Jerico I found the NOS GE triple mica black plate that I had stashed to be much more precise and less fuzzy than the stock Sovtek 12ax7LPS so I can relate. Let me know how the Telefunkens workout please!!!
Right on - I believe those GEs are what my amps were supplied with (are they the ones marked with 5 stars?). I prefer them over the Mullard, but prefer the Sylvanias over the GEs (though it's not a drastic difference there, to my ears).
WOW you got some high dollar 5751's with the amp. Those 5-stars are the most expensive GE 5751's.

I used to have some NOS RCA triple mica black plates but preferred the GE's in a CD player I had. The RCA's were a little dry sounding while the GE's were more robust to my ears.

Have you heard the NOS RCA 12AX7 cleartops?
Yeah when I bought the amps the dealer requested NOS tubes with them, I believe.

I have RCA clear top 12AU7s in my amps now and love them (they were a Rogue recommendation) but I haven't heard a 12AX7 (M180s use 2x12AU7 and 1x12AX7 each). Great, another thing to buy!! ;)