Just got Audible Illusions L1, but it sound harsh

I just got a Audible Illusions L1 preamp to replace my Rotel RC 1070. I can hear it is much more detail, it sounds more forward and bigger sound stage. But I also found it too harsh. Especially in vocal, the "s" sound is very loud and quite alloying. I don't have it in my RC 1070, but at the same time, it doesn't sound as musical. It is just like sing behind a curtain. I don't hear that detail, but also, those annoying "s" sound is "filter" out. Is it a characteristic of this preamp? Is there any thing I can do? I am using a Rotel RB 1080 amp. Should I try another preamp? Or try another amp?
gte357s
I've been using the AI mod3, 3a, and 3b, for some time now and can honestly say it is very revealing and will force you to upgade everything else to max out its potential. I've been there. Unfortunitly IMHO the SS Rotel needs to replaced with tubes... and personally I don't think the Sony BRP is a good cd transport. And forget the "cheapo" cables... buy Crimson CAbles and be done with it.

It might be easyier to get a less revealing preamp...

Good luck
Tony
Actually, I feel my problem is resolve. I set the left and right knob to 6:00, and the main knob to around 8:00. I listen to it all night last night, no harshess, and no "s" sound. It seems the bass doesn't kick in when the main knob is set to very low (close to 6:00). Anyway, I will do more testing.

But still, I am seriously considering upgrading my amp due to the upgrade bug, but my budget is < $1000. I am leaning towards a DNA-1, but also comparing to Belles 150A, or PS Audio HCA-2.
I spot another one, a Mcintosh 2105. I can't really find a review for that probably because of its age. But it is really eye catching. How is 30 yrs old Mcintosh it compared to more recent SS amp like the DNA-1 or Belles 150A?
In my opinion the DNA-1 and Belles 150A are superior to the Mac. The PS Audio will sound bright when compared to these.

Wendell
Oh my god, this preamp is sooo revealing. I am listening Chario audiophile disc, 4th track, Memory, I can hear each breathing of the performer playing flute. I have never heard this before.
Actually, I think it sounds very good now. No harshness. And actually the Rotel RB 1080 sounds pretty good. Do you think I will get much improvement by replacing it with a DNA-1?
The DNA-1 is superior to the Rotel. Will you hear the difference? I don't know.

Wendell