Best preamp for $1000 or less with remote

I'm looking for the best preamp in the price range of $1000 or less to go with my Emotiva XPA-2 power amp; the preamp must have a remote for volume control. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to go more than $1000 on a preamp that might be worth the extra money. Thanks, Bob
bobgates
Disclaimer upfront: I have one for sale.
The Bel Canto PRe3 is a fantastic preamp. About as transparent as you'll find, a pleasure to use, balanced in and out. Meets all the criteria you stated and would be a good match for the Emotiva. Read the reviews.
Would be helpful if you told us what you're using now and what sound qualities you're looking to change and/or improve upon.
Soix - I've been using a Musical Fidelity A308 for a few months now and just picked up a B&K PT3 series 2. Both are nice but looking for something with a bit more air, detail and transparency. Maybe the Bel Canto mentioned by Timrhu would be a good one to try.
That helps, and the first thing that pops to mind is something from Bryston (I own the BP-6). Thought the Adcom recommendation was a good one too, but I remember reading they had some reliability problems in the past but not sure how widespread it was. That should not be much of a concern with anything from Bryston. Best of luck.