Preamp for Thiel 1.6's

Would like recommendations on a preamp for Thiel 1.6's. Also have Rotel 1095 power amp. Currently using a Pioneer 94 Receiver as a preamp, which works OK, but I suspect is the weakest link in the system. Thanks for your ideas.
128x128geh7
Geh7...the important link for the preamp is with the power amp downstream from it. The Thiel 1.6 is a very highly resolving speaker and deserves high quality electronics upstream of it. What is your budget? Are you looking for any specific features/connections in your next preamp? What's your budget?
Geh7, although frequently classified as Mid-Fi, the Rotel 1095 is a very good amp that should be able to drive your Thiels fairly well. The 1.6's require some power to sound their best, and IMHO the preamp and amp together should sit slightly on the warm side of neutral for these speakers.

Consequently, if you'd like to just get a preamp, I imagine it should sound pretty good. I don't know your preamp budget, but I'm assuming it's less than the cost of the 1095 new. A preamp from Rotel is an obvious choice, but you can consider other possibilities such as Classe, Marsh, Electrocompaniet, Cary (tube), BAT (tube), and Musical Fidelity. This is by no means a comprehensive list.

I think the best question to be asking right now is, "What is your listening preference and how does your system compare to that right now?" If it's just fine, then don't do anything. On the other hand, if you feel that you have deficiencies with certain types of music, for instance, then that may assist us in making recommendations.

Michael
Both of you are on target with your thoughts and questions. Budget is flexible, but let's say 2k. Jazz and piano sound good now, but rock can be a little harsh. I do have a second zone hooked up very conveniently with the Pioneer, but I do not want that to limit good choices for the main system.
Thanks