From anthem/pse to rowland seperates?

Alright guys, I generally come here to hear what you have to say about gear. I currently have an Anthem PRE1 and a set of PSE studio V monoblocks running my Infinity RSIIs. I love the speakers, they are staying... Source is a boulder modified squeezebox and a turntable that I may never finish assembling (no arm yet).

I am considering stepping up the front end on my system after hearing the difference in the boulder modded squeeezbox vs. the stock unit. The Infinitys are a pain to drive, and that is the one reason I would consider giving them up...

A friend of mine has a Rowland Model 5a & Consummate preamp for sale. It would cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,200 to buy them both. Ill be honest, this is a sum of money I have never even considered spending on gear.

Would this be a huge upgrade from what I am currently using? He says yes.. and I do believe him. It is a very difficult choice to make since audition is not in the realm of possibility.

Is there some other gear I should be looking at? I do have a lazarus balanced preamp and a 200/200 that need service. Would they be an upgrade from the anthem/pse combo?

Thanks guys, just looking around for suggestions. I don't have the money handy so it would have to be a "save up" kinda deal.

Evan
240z4u
Your friend won't let you try out the equipment he wants to sell?Not much of a friend in my book but that's just me.
many might think the rowlands to be a upgrade, but the 'blue collar looking' pse stuff was some of the finest ss ever made. i don't see an improvment on paper...you'd have to try it and see. the speakers are legendary too. screw around with the front end if your bored.
Jaybo is right on. I have a PSE studio IV and it can hold it's own any time. You may consider getting them rebuilt if they have a ton of hours but mine has never shown any age. The Anthem came out as a budget version of Sonic Frontiers. It's nice but may be where to start? Try borrowing a higher end pre.
Cables and line conditioners have come a long way since your gear came out. Borrow some new interconnects to see what you can hear.