How good is the BAT VK40?

Hi guys,

I have the chance to buy a second user BAT VK40 for a good price. Any opinions about this preamp? How does it sound? I am currently using a transformer based passive preamp. The rest of my system is a TEAC VDRS10SE CD into TACT RCS2.0 room correction to an Audiosynthesis DAX Decade DAC. The power amps are Nuforce Ref9 and the speakers are Vienna Acoustics Mahler. The system sound fantastic but maybe too clinical therefore the thought of changing the preamp to the BAT one. Any thoughts and/or other recommendations greatly appreciated.

Greg
greg_f
I had one and sold it after a year or two. It had many great features but the for me the sound was a bit uninvolving and a little too "smooth". It did have a sound similar to the tubed VK-30 I had before that in that it did add a thickness or warmth to the midrange and had a great soundstage. I went back to my old Rotel RC-1090 and am happier because it sounds more immediate in the treble and has a sharper edge on bass transients on electronic music, etc. It might be a great match with your Nuforce amps, though. It all comes down to that darn synergy thing. I do miss the great volume control and adjustable balance on the VK-40.
Bizango, thanks for answering. Yes, synergy is really important, I feel the preamp is the weak/missing link in my set up.
I've heard mixed opinion. Some said vk40 is superior to vk30 or even vk31, and vice versa. I see one sold in ebay at $1700 and one advertised in agon at $2000. I guess the price is not that bad.
I am planning to get vk-30 with phono soon to match with vk-200. I chose vk-30 over vk-40 because I'd like to have tube sound in my system, and also due to the price.
I am not sure how well Nuforce Ref9 would work with vk-40.