Shindo advice

I'm looking to upgrade from my long-time pre reference, a Joule LA200/ops-1, and have settled on a Shindo - either a Monbrison or Masseto. My question has to do with a lot of people I see on audiogon moving from the Monbrison to the Masseto, and fairly quickly. The obvious answer would be that they love their Monbrison and just want more. I know one can not go wrong with either, but we all know that there are sweet spots in every designer's line and I'm just wondering if its also because the Masseto is a big jump rather than an incremental one. Just curious.

Would also like to hear some more opinions on differences between Monbrison and Masseto.

Last,any opinions about me digging around for an older Catherine?

To get an idea of who I am, I run an all SET/nos tubed system with a TNT4/Graham/Cardas Heart analog rig. I sold my main speakers and am looking around, using my backup Spendor LS3/5As for now. Past speakers have been Quad US63s and ESP Concert Grands.

Thanks for the help.
asa
Post removed 
I think what you are describing is the phenomenon of people thinking if something is really great, the more expensive one must be really amazing... I just bought a lower level Shindo system, the Auriges L and Montille 6L6 amplifier, moving from an ARC Ref3/Ref 110 combo, and am thrilled with it. Any yes, I am eyeing a Masseto myself, ironically because I AM so thrilled with the current system. A big reason for these "move ups" in Shindo is because most dealers have a very generous trade up program, basically, I believe, giving full credit if the move up the line is done within a year. That said, I have heard that the Masseto offers a large slice of the top of the line Shindo preamps. Being a lower level Auriges owner, I will state I think you will be thrilled with ANY of the Shino preamps, based on my Auriges experience.
Thanks, gentlemen. The upgrade program explains a lot. Not something you think about with Shindo/Kondo et al, but a good business move. On the "large slice," that's what I sensed. I watched Dudley skip right to the Masseto when he knew he wanted to buy for the long haul. My gut was telling me to sell some Bordeaux and get the Masseto!

OK, decision made.

Time to wade back in and sell my old friend, the Joule...ah, the vagaries of the bazaar.

I'm still interested, though, on peoples' opinions on the Monbrison v. Masseto. I hear "great tone" and "just more of that," but it seems that ears that hear Shindo could say something, um, deeper.

Anyone care to wade into that?

Thanks again for the advice.
Asa, good questions. I personally have not heard all the Shindo preamps so its hard to say where the "sweet spot" is in the Shindo lineup. The same is true for a Catherine, if you are able to find one. I can tell you Matt Rotunda at Pitch Perfect Audio is a very good guy and will not lead you astray when it comes to questions such as these and is one of the few, besides Jonathan, who can give you an informed answer. He has definately helped me with my system so I try to buy from him when ever I can.
Asa, You really can't go wrong with Shindo. I have heard the Monbrison and it is a winner. BTW, if you have enjoyed the Joule preamp have you had a chance to hear the Joule LA300 ME? I have owned this preamp for about 5 months and can't imagine a preamp better then the LA300ME.