Ayre KX-R or Krell 202 with Martin Logans

Looking at adding 1 of these 2 preamps with my ML's. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. thanks
128x128topfinadv
BTW - I use an Ayre K-1xe preamp with my Krell FPB-600C amp and the pairing produces excellent sound. If the KX-R is a bit forward (not sure that I agree with that assessment though), it should offset the slightly dark character of your Krell amp (assuming it is an FPB since you describe it as the last gen before the cast connections) and result in a very nice tonal balance.
Well I finally got the kx-r in my system for a trial. (The krell arrives next week.)Unbelievable sound. Width,soundstage a very real life presence of the vocal qualities,have to say it is probably the best sounding preamp I have had in my system. Now to audition the Krell.
Hi Top-

Did you wind up keeping the KX-R? I've been looking at one as well.

Bianci
Guildocorona, could you describe what combination when you hear KX-R, I have KX-R and MX-R in my system, paired with Tidal speakers, nothing I find they are forward and trebly, in fact, they are quite understated.

Even with my previous W/P 8, Ayre make them the most musical presentation I have ever heard. The sound satge is dead accurate and no sway around, my previous pre was Pass XP-20, one of the highly prised pre, can't generate so evenly sounding satge, and is more trebly than Ayre.

At least I can be sure one thing, KX-R has sweet but understated treble.
I own the Ayre KX-R and can highly recommend it . I heard many other preamps ,Krell , Levinson , A.R.C, B.A.T. , Marantz , Meridian , ect in my system and the Ayre just brought me closer to the music .
Tim