Considering a move to Exposure or Naim

Hi all,

I currently run a Rega Saturn and YBA YA201 integrated amp. I find this combination to be a little too un-involving. Almost like the music is too smooth, too weighed down. Some songs sound great, but I listen to a lot of rock and it just isn't rocking enough.

So I'm considering a move to an Exposure 2010s amp and CDP, or a Naim Nait 5i amp and CD5i CDP. If anyone has any insight into these it would be much appreciated.

The Rega Saturn is a great player and I'd be a bit disappointed to give it up, but I believe some of the edge I'm missing is due to the Saturn. I am pretty interested in using only one brand as well, as I perceive that would yield more synergy than I am getting currently. I'm not all that excited about getting a Mira3 to pair with the Saturn, although it is an option and something I can listen to. My dealer carries Naim, Exposure, Rega, and Cambridge Audio.

I guess it all depends on my listening to the gear and deciding which combination I like best, but I hope to hear some feedback from you all.

Cheers
fusion10
While I have no experience with Exposure, I did own a Nait 5i and CD 5i a little while ago. I can't say enough good about them. They are an excellent set, especially through the right speakers. What do you use?
The only reason I no longer have them is because I decided to make the leap to computer audio instead of CD. Now that they are shipping the UNITI, I'm seriously considering going back to Naim. Excellent and very musical gear.
Why don't you buy an amp w/enough juice to drive a rock? I just don't see anything w/less than 150w to give the drive and dynamics for rock. If you have a local dealer why not try a few loaners for a personal home trial? Also, alot of equipment can be mix-matched w/no problems. But I see your point for asthetic reasons. What spks are u using? Maybe you need to change these out. Bill
I compared the Rega to both of these and the Classe. I couldn't hear an appreciable difference.
I am convinced I have the reference cdp to match anything out there. It is called a Mac playing back in a loss less format through a good dac.
You may just be craving a change in sound. Perhaps the answer is a good tubed cdp. Something like a Unico, Raysonic or a Pathos. That may be the biggest change; whether or not you like it is subjective.

Anyway, worth considering. I think the only significant change you will hear with the options you listed is a lighter wallet.
When I heard the Naim combo you are considering it was used to drive the Dynaudio Sapphires. I was blown away with the overall sound. Very musical especially for the money. For me that combo really got my toes tapping and head bobbing.

As far as the Rega when I was shopping for cd players I thought the Rega was very good for the money but dry sounding to me. I spent a lot more and ended up with the Meridian G08.

Any way those are my personal opinions. See if your dealer will let you demo what ever you choose in your home (it never sounds the same as somewhere else - could be better or may be much worse).