Tubes for Modulus 3A

I took delivery of a used Modulus 3a today. I have a Modulus 3 which will go to my second system upstairs. I am not happy with the sound of this preamp, it sounds a bit thin, not much bass. I replaced the tubes with new Sovtek 6922's, but I am still not there yet.

I don't want NOS tubes and want to keep the price low and I also don't want tubes that will die in a few months. Recommendations please? I want more bass!!!
128x128stereo5
Here are the ones that Kevin Deal recommends from Upscale Audio. He has never steered me wrong over many years and many many tubes:

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/Russian-6H236922-Type-3_p_49.html
Like it or not you have to use rugged tubes in the AI. Unfortunately most of these are threadbare Sovtek types, including 6h23's (which I use in my ARC SP10 because like the AI it also requires rugged tubes). You might try some EH6922's. They have very different tonal balance than the Sovteks and might work in the AI. Since I believe these were the tubes which were OEM with Raysonic's you might just have some on hand to try.

How I solved my problems with the sound of 6h23's in my ARC was to find my 'warmth' in my phono cartridges, or tubes in DAC's or CDP's. For example with your stuff I'd try some EH6922's in the AI and some JJ/Tesla 6922's in my Raysonic. I'm familar with the sound of JJ's in the Raysonic (128) and they can sound quite lush. That Raysonic might just be the source of the warmth your system needs.

FWIW.
Funny you mention this as that is exactly what I was planning on. Yesterday, I ordered the JJ6922 tubes from The Tube Store and when they arrive, I will put the EH6922 tubes from my Raysonic into the Modulus 3a and the JJ's will go into the Raysonic. I think it will be the best of both worlds. Although the EH6922 tubes sound good in the Raysonic, I think the JJ's will give me the exact sound I am looking for.

I will report back once the switches are made and the new tubes have broken in.
I use cryo'ed 6H23-EB's with Herbie Tube Dampers in my AI Mod3b. I also use 3 cones (points down) for isolation.

Tony
what is the difference between the 3a and 3b? There is no mention of the 3b on AI website.