Best Carver stereo solid state amplifier design

i would like to know what is the best design Bob Carver has made.Is it really considered hifi.What could we compare the sonics of his best designs to.Can we compare his stuff to mark levinson,spectral,krell.Many people are fans of him but we dont hear much about his work in hifi magazines. Does it mean its only good for home theater or what.Anyone out there can answer on the sound quality of his stuff.Any comparisons made to the big league.Thanks pat
128x128pataldorr
FWIW, a looong time ago, I owned a couple of different Carver amps. The little 400 watt cube and the really cool looking 500 watt amp with the big analog meters. I don't remember the model numbers. Anyway, I bought a Rotel 980 bx for $600, the Rotel was better top to bottom, in every way, shape and form.

I have not heard any of the Sunfire amps.
I owned both the original M400, the cube-shaped amplifier in which Carver introduced his magnetic field power supply technology, and the subsequent M400t version.

The original M400 sounded quite poor. The M400t sounded surprisingly good, and was certainly an excellent value in relation to its price and its power capability (200W/channel). The "t" denoted "transfer function modification," which meant in this case that it was designed to emulate the sound of a Mark Levinson ML2, which was a pure Class A megabuck monoblock amplifier of the time. Carver demonstrated that by running both his amplifier and an ML2 off of the same input signal (music, not a test signal), electronically subtracting the output of one amplifier from the output of another, and showing that he got a reasonably good null.

The major weakness in my experience with the M400t was that the size of the image it projected seemed somewhat constricted, particularly in comparison to the tube amps I have used.

To his credit, though, creating a 200W amplifier in that small a package, and with a relatively low price, was a remarkable accomplishment. I'll add that in my experience with it, it did sound every bit as powerful and as dynamic as its rating would suggest, although I'll qualify that by saying that I was using it with fairly easy-to-drive 7 ohm 90db speakers.

Some of his later "t" version amplifiers, not in the cube form factor, were designed to emulate the sound of a Conrad Johnson tube amplifier. I have no knowledge of how they sounded.

Regards,
-- Al
I own single Sunfire SRA 250/500 8/4Ohms driving Totem Forrest speakers.
It has a large number of advanteges over the higher priced high-end components:
1. No Heat
2. Plenty of clean and linear power
3. Power rated over the whole audiable freequency bandwidth
4. Fraction of price to Krell Bryston or Classe with competitive performance
5. Can't rise my hand to sell this amp and upgrade to wYred4sound SX500 monos that 'itching' me lately.
Marakanetz so the wyred for sound might be an upgrade to the sunfire.Is your sunfire amp from the latest technologie of Bob Carver.Did you compare both.Anyone out there compare the spectron amps to sunfire amps.In the absolute sound mag,they said that the spectron was the best digital amp.Is that right.pat
All i seem to remember about Carver was his Phase linear amps. PF used a ton of them in Jax FL for their Dark Side Of the Moon show.

I was impressed. Still am.