Is anything better than Aleph 3?

I do not know if I would consider myself TRUE audiophile but I have been in this hobby for a long time although for the last few years I had no time for it but getting in the game again :)

I have heard a lot of solid state amps but I only heard Rogue Audio as tube amp. I always felt like it would be a pain to deal with the tubes but frankly I just have this conception from what I read/heard from people here and there. Right now I am considering tube amps so that I can have a sound like my good old Aleph 3. I used to have this amp and did not hear anything like it so far. I do not have fancy words to explain it but that thing was so sweet. The midrange was so smooth/soft, I could almost see the airy sound that was coming from the speakers with that amp. Yes, it did not have the best bass but that was not my concern too much. However, that thing was getting TOO hot and it was adding extra cost to the electric bill.

I have been trying to find someone who had an experience with the Aleph 3 and had a chance to compare it to the other amps. I have read some people telling Golden Tube SE-40 (yes I heard about the reliability issues) is the same or better. This other guy saying Onkyo A-9555 is better sounding amp than the Aleph 3. Could this be true?

You can tell that I do not want to spend a fortune but I could go up to $1500 for an amp that I can get the sound of an Aleph 3. Sure, I can get the Aleph 3 again but the heat and power consumption is a lot. Also, I am trying to see if I can like any other amp better than the Aleph 3.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
celo
It is so interesting to see how one can just love the Aleph and other finds it "boring". Sure, taste is subjective. Like I am not too impressed with the X line though I would not call them "boring". However, to call the Aleph "boring" is at least not fair to Mr. Nelson Pass.

Peterayer:
I wonder if you know the retail price of the XA.5 that is XA30.5 I believe, no? I never saw that on used market either.
Celo,
I believe it is around $5,000. I'm sure it is listed in the recent Stereophile review. There are occasionally used or demo XA30.5s listed on the RENO HIFI website. Good luck. I have never heard it, but if it is anything like my XA100.5, it is wonderful.
Celo,
The FirstWatt Aleph J (I think) is another Nelson Pass 30 watt design for a lot less money than the XA30.5. Agian, you could check with RENO HIFI as they are the FirstWatt distributor.
Thanks for your responses Peterayer. I was just curious about the retail price on the 30.5. I do not think I could afford it at the moment. I am seriously considering the Aleph J since Mr. Nelson Pass also says this about it: "I consider the best of Aleph series" Now, that's something!