Is anything better than Aleph 3?

I do not know if I would consider myself TRUE audiophile but I have been in this hobby for a long time although for the last few years I had no time for it but getting in the game again :)

I have heard a lot of solid state amps but I only heard Rogue Audio as tube amp. I always felt like it would be a pain to deal with the tubes but frankly I just have this conception from what I read/heard from people here and there. Right now I am considering tube amps so that I can have a sound like my good old Aleph 3. I used to have this amp and did not hear anything like it so far. I do not have fancy words to explain it but that thing was so sweet. The midrange was so smooth/soft, I could almost see the airy sound that was coming from the speakers with that amp. Yes, it did not have the best bass but that was not my concern too much. However, that thing was getting TOO hot and it was adding extra cost to the electric bill.

I have been trying to find someone who had an experience with the Aleph 3 and had a chance to compare it to the other amps. I have read some people telling Golden Tube SE-40 (yes I heard about the reliability issues) is the same or better. This other guy saying Onkyo A-9555 is better sounding amp than the Aleph 3. Could this be true?

You can tell that I do not want to spend a fortune but I could go up to $1500 for an amp that I can get the sound of an Aleph 3. Sure, I can get the Aleph 3 again but the heat and power consumption is a lot. Also, I am trying to see if I can like any other amp better than the Aleph 3.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
celo
The Alephs are special. I owned the 5 and heard the 3. There is a good reason for all those heatsinks!!!!

I have Pass's XA.5 amps now and several SET amps so you know what kind of sound I like. The amp I would recommend for your situation is the Red Wine Audio 30.2. I've seen them used in the 1500 ballpark, they put out zero heat, battery operated Tripath chip (don't let that scare you) and put out 30 wpc. Make sure to try and get the ".2" version. They did something special to it. The original 30 was good too, so if money is tight you might consider it also.

After listening to tubes from fall to spring, I always feel reluctant to put my RWA into my system when summer rolls around, but it never ceases to amaze me. Good luck.
I still have my Aleph 3 and will probably never sell it. It is simply too good for the money. My friend bought the Golden Tube SE40 at the same time in 1994. No comparison. I moved up the Aleph line to a 5 and then the 2 monos - all fantastic. You should be able to find an Aleph 3 for under $1000 and an Aleph 5 for about $1400. I have not heard anything close for the money. If you can stretch, the 2s will cost just below $2500. Simply fantastic. The bass was never the best and it has been improved substantially in the new XA.5 line, but it is very expensive. That pure Class A is hot and hungry for power. Small price to pay for the sonics. You could also look for a FirstWatt. There is one that has 30 watts and is supposed to be better than the Aleph 3, but I have not heard it.
Peterayer, I would agree with you but he is trying to reduce heat and power consumption.

And BTW, a public thanks for your personal help when I was moving up the Pass line.
The Onkyo A-9555 will run cool and cost less to operate...
but not in the same class as the Aleph 3. I have not heard a digital amp that sounds natural or warm etc. I agree with Peterayer about the Aleph line, the 2s are great and there is a pair for sale on Audiogon. No, they are not mine or my cousins! But we are back to the same problem heat and energy cost...sorry
Thanks again for the replies. I frankly never really believed that Onkyo could be in the same league but I had to bring it up since there are some talks about it and even being compared to Aleph 3. The Red Wine Audio looks interesting too. I am putting that in my list. Aleph J is also supposed to be really good from what I have read. You know what; I may just suck up the heat/extra cost and get the one that suits my taste the best. That Aleph 3 is still in my head :) I am not saying all Pass amps are the best though because I was never too impressed with their X line. Aleph line is something else.