Shindo Auriges vs. Cary SLP98

Hello! I have an opportunity to purchase a Shindo Auriges preamp at a great price, but will have no opportunity to hear it in my system or compare against my existing Cary SLP-98 F1. I have heard great things about the Shindo, so I am tempted to pull the trigger on this deal. Rest of the system is Cary V-12i, Audio Physic Virgos, VPI Scout w/Blackbird, Shanling T-100 CD through modded EAD 7000 DAC, Audience AU24 cabling.
I know this is pretty subjective, but any thoughts?
slaw3
Slaw3,

The Blackbird is a 2.5 mv output cart, this will not work so well with the Aurieges. The Aurieges is a MM preamp which means 3mv minimum.
Is your slp-98 direct coupled and have you upgraded the 6sn7 tubes? Coupled with my v-12 r, the system seems more dynamic and detailed than it did stock.
"My present preamp is the Audio Valve Eklispe which is a great tube based linestage for a lot less money then the Shindo. "

The Shindo Monbrison is a full function preamp with an amazing phono stage. There is no comparison in that area to your Chinese line stage. The Shindo should cost more than your line stage because it has one of the world's best and most quiet phono stages not to mention that one is made in Japan and one is made in China!
Thanks all for the great feedback!
Teajay & Tholt, thanks for the advice. Macdadtexas, you've echo'd my thoughts - you know, I really do love the Cary too.
Aronsss, you've brought up an interesting point - in my dedicated room, the ICs are right at 3m, so I would have to be careful with this aspect.
Lars, I have upgraded the tubes, which made a nice improvement - but what do you mean by "direct coupled"??
Vinyljh, I didn't realize the Shindo wouldn't work with the Blackbird, that seals the deal for me - as intrigued as I am with the Shindo, I think for now I'll stay with my Cary.
Vinyljh, IIRC you're somebody who quite knows what he's talking about ;), but I used a Blackbird into the Monbrison's MM input and it was *great*.

The need for gain is obviously system-dependent - if you don't need a ton, and most don't, a 2.5 mV cart into 41 dB of phono gain followed by (IIRC) 16 dB of line gain is *plenty*.