Is it worth it to repair a cj pv2ar?

I bought a used cj pv2ar preamp off the audiogon classifieds 10 years ago. It has served me well to this point, hooked up to a cj mv-55 and meadowlark kestrel.

A recent repair estimate (needs new power supply, caps and a transistor or two) was $520. Considering I bought it for less than $200, and there are newer cj preamps available used for a little more money (pv10a for $650), is it worth repairing?

Does anyone feel the pv-2ar is not a great match for the mv-55?

I listen to mostly jazz on vinyl and prefer a warmer, fuller sound.

Thanks,

sanjay
skedhar
I agree with Rhljazz that the estimate sounds high . I would think the whole Preamp could be gutted and totally Re-Built for that amount . When you say it " needs new power supply " does this mean every part including Transformer ? Or does it mean power supply Caps and Diodes ? From your brief description I would think the work could be done for $200.00 or less . It would be well worth the $200 or so to fix it , $520 not worth it .
Oops! I forgot to mention that you might want to contact Bill Thalman at musictechnology.com. He is the previous tech director for C-J, and does repair & upgrade on the various C-J products. He's quite reasonable as far as cost goes. I agree with the various comments about the price being high. However if that cost included the latest "boutique" parts (teflon caps, etc) it might be about right.
I suggest that you shop for repair. I don't know who gave you the estimate but if it's the local audio repair guy, I would almost anticipate getting clipped. Let us know where you're located and maybe a member can recommend someone dependable.
Thanks for all the help. I had the estimate done at Analogique SYstem Labs in New York City. The total was $520 for the following:

"problems in the power supply section"
"replace parts: filter caps, diodes, regulation, etc."
"repair cold solder joints"
"clean and lube switches and controls"

I agree that the price seems high, so I canceled the repairs.
If anyone has a suggestion for someone who would do the work at a reasonable rate in New York, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll probably take the advice of selling it and upgrading.

All your advice has been really appreciated.

Best,

Sanjay
Why don't you send the pre amp back to cj for repair. they might even have some upgrades they can do to enhance the sound.