Phono Preamp Recommendation

I recently sold my ARC SP-16 and went to an LS-26 linestage. One goal of the upgrade was to improve my vinyl playback which was then suffering in comparison to my Esoteric X-03SE. Now it's time to add a phonostage and I could use some suggestions. Parameters: $2-3K, leaning toward solid state (lower noise, no tubes to swap), low profile (3" high or less). I doubt I'll need gain enough for really low output moving coils nor do I need tons of loading and capacitance adjustments, though some ability to adapt to different cartridges would be nice. Right now I'm running a Dynavector 20XM (medium output coil with 1mv output) in a VPI Scout. I don't see this as my last phonostage but rather one to take me a few years down the road until I can upgrade my table/arm/cartridge in a big way. Basically, I'd like to end up with vinyl playback as good (or better) than what I'm getting on the digital side right now. If I can do this for less than $2K great but I'll go to $3K if the jump in performance is appreciable. Bottom line: performance and reliability are key, features less so. Anything you might suggest should be as good or better than my fallback which is an ARC PH-5 (I know, tubes and taller than 3"!).

Thanks for your assistance.
dodgealum
Post removed 
Before you toss tubes to the wolves, have you tried the Wright Sound WPP-200C? Gain is adjustable on the preamp and works very nicely with medium output MC. You can get one for under 1K new and save your change towards some good vinyl instead.

I currently have it set up with my Scout and a Benz Wood M2. The VPI Scout is a killer table and I am not sure why you would want to upgrade it. Maybe the arm and cart if anything.

I also have heard nothing but good things on the ARC PH-5.
The Pass Labs Aleph Ono is about 3 inches tall and is solid state... some of them even have adjustable gain. An old Threshold FET-10pc or FET-10pe would be great (if you can find one) and they're less then 3 inches tall. A new or used Primare R-20 would be an excellent choice also... this one should take you a few years down the road for sure.