Pream question

A few days ago I got Audio Research LS-5 MKII for testing. The sound seems good for me so I decided to buy it. But right now there are two more preamps in the same price range at our local market: Audio Research LS-25 MKII and Balanced Audio Technology VK-51SE. All have quite positive feedbacks... What will be the best choice among these three?

My current system is: B&W Matrix 803 S2, Luxman Da-06 DAC and Luxman M600-A amp.
alex_bolotnikov
You won't hear the 51SE at its best unless you spend the "big dough" and get some NOS "DR" 6H30 tubes (talk to BAT). I tried some new production tubes which gave dreadful sound (and died within three months).
Nobody said the high-end is easy...
Can anyone tell me what caps should I use for 51SE as a replacement? Is it 0.1uf 400v or 1uf 400v by Jensen?
How do you know that the caps are the problem? I know that I recommended the Bat, but sometimes things don't work out. I was kind of surprised that it didn't sound good for you. The last thing I would recommend for you to do is put money into an expensive preamp that you've never heard sounding good. There's other choices, and not only that, you really don't know if there is anything wrong with it.

That said, if you want to look into Caps, I would contact Bat. They're known for offering Cap upgrades, and if you explain to them the problem, they may be able to give you some good advice. Bat does have a very good reputation. I don't think they would mislead you in any way just to sell a preamp.
There is a permanent noise coming from the left block of caps. I took the amp to the service center and I'm waiting for their conclusion. In case the problem is with caps - it's better to start searching for the replacment parts now as I doubt that it will be possible to find the original Jensen in our country)

Btw I replaced all the tubes with Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi EHG. The sound is better now but still far from LS5ii imo...