Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
Back to Dazzdax original inquiry, I suspect the tube-associated artifact in question is not holographic imaging and more likely what is commonly referred to as "bloom".

I don't think that holographic imaging is an artifact of tubes at all. Bloom often is. I would agree with Dave also regarding the relative sonic merits of bloom in general and how it becomes less of a distinguishing factor in better gear.
Newbee, Mapman,
I do see your point. Sometimes it is better to have a pleasant hand- or earful, instead of hunting for an abstract principle. In fact I do appreciate the Penelopes, but I won't forget the Sophias either.
Happy listening
Pubul57, live music IS more dynamic, especially if you are hearing it without amplification which is difficult to find. If you are as close to the performance as the microphones, you would hear great holographic imaging.

Mapman, I have no interest in arguing your definition of holographic. I have seen holographic visual images. This is my definition of an audio holographic image.

As I have said before I have owned omni speakers and heard the MBLs repeatedly over the last 20 years and in a friend's home. My present non-omni system is much more holographic.
Just found this thread today. My first thoughts on reading through it are that this thread hilariously proves just how many different definitions there are out there for these terms that audiophiles like to use. The only way to be absolutely sure that we are speaking of the same thing would be to be in the same room listening together.

That said, I think atmasphere has done an excellent job of describing what most people mean by them, with the exception of bloom. I have never before now heard that term described as coming from distortion, though I have heard it described as "coloration," which I suppose could be reasonably argued is the same thing. However, I think both Detlof and Newbee have more accurately described the phenomenon of bloom, which does naturally occur, particularly in a good hall.

I would also agree that tubes and horn speakers are still the best way to hear this particular aspect of sound recreation, especially of an orchestra in a great concert hall. I would add, though, that the recording engineers and their mike placements and mixes have a huge, not to be underestimated effect on this. I have been a part of many live orchestral performances that sounded amazing only to listen later to a recording made by a well-meaning engineer who got it amazingly wrong. And if that happens, which it does far more often than not nowadays (not to start this argument over again, but digital recording has a very great deal to do with it), even the very best system out there, no matter what type it is, can't fix that. If I had a penny for every audiophile who lost faith in a system or component when the actual fault lay with a poor recording.....
TBg,

Believe me I'm not interested in arguing either, but realize that the definition I provided is not mine, I'm just sharing it. Take it for whatever its worth.

I'm just trying to help provide some clarity in terminology where it exists so as to help cut to the chase rather than argue what certain words mean.

Personally I learned from it that Carver holography really isn't holography at all. Its just one engineers approach to providing a bigger sound stage with improved 3-d imaging if that is to someones tastes. Obviously, its not to many, at least via the means provided.