An Audiophile's journey

Well, How do I begin? First of all you english teachers out there just don't read this and we'll both be the better off for it. English grammer and spelling is something that I'm not well educated in. I will tell you that I'm a business owner and at 45 years old I don't hit a lick anymore so, all you proper spelling and grammer people just eat your heart out! Now let's get to what I have to say. I've been an audiophile since I was a kid in the 70s. My parents used to punish me by sending me to my room. It was grounding me for being bad. I was bad a lot! My Realistic receiver, BSR turntable, Technics cassette deck was my best friend. Oh, I forgot to mention my Advent loudspeakers. Anyway, I went all these years with solid state gear. When I finally got old enough to not be punished anymore(at least by my parents anyway) I got some Martin Logan SL3 speakers and a Krell amp. I just thought I had arrived! Bring it on everybody! Several years went by. I ventured into trying a tube amp on my SL3s. WOW! What revelation! It was a Rogue M120 Monos. I remember thinking why can such an outdated technolgy be so right in my rig. Then as time went by I got involved in this new website called Audiogon. Audiogon made it possible to buy and sell stuff at a minimal loss if you didn't like it. WOW! What an Idea. Poor dealers! This was late 90s early 2000. Those were the good old days. There were just a few of us excanging ideas and information. It was like an audiophile AA! I bought and have tried so many pieces of gear that I've forgotten more than others know! Then the SET revoltution came. Man, I fell hard. I've since went back and forth several times from SETs to solid state or push/pull tube amps always trying to find that nirvanna or fountain of youth of audio. Fastfoward through the great Bill Clinton years, I tried my hand at being an in home dealer and found that dealing with audiophiles was worse than babysitting children. So, that didn't last long. I still have some connections but, recently I've been blown away! A couple years ago I had a friend that got some popular UCD digtital amps to try and I thought they had great potential. But, still weren't my SET horn combo. Now this SET horn combo was a biamped system with a digital amp on the bottom (600Hz and below) and a SET amp on the top. It was, what I thought, the magical audio reproduction machine. Then a friend got a Spectron Audio Musician III SE MK II amp for his Aerials. He was blown away. He kept after me to hear his rig. Well, to make a long story longer I gave in and listened. I'm as fimiliar with his rig as I am my own. We decided to hear it in my rig. I didn't habe speakers suitable for this monster of an amp. So, I got some Dali Helcon 400 MkII for audition and we went at it. Well, to say that history was made is an understatment. I've since been selling all tube gear and living in audio heaven. I can't beleive that there is not the first tube in my rig now. My take on this is that solid state manufacturers were resting on there laurels during the late 80s and 90s. That why a 300B SET amp came along and all the people were freaked out by the great sound an 8 watt amp could produce. That great midrange! It's what brought audio out of the dark ages. Solid state has gotten on the ball since then. Digital has come a long way and is now sitting in the catbird seat. Sorry for the ramblings this Monday afternoon but, just had somethings on my chest.
philefreak
Rwwear, FWIW they were never one of our dealers.

The Fertin full-range driver is an extremely high quality driver, yet it is not driven well by a 'constant voltage' amplifier like the Krell. The manufacturer specifies 'current source' amplifiers for its use- these are amps with a high output impedance.

Another example is the Acoustic Research AR-1, the very first acoustic suspension speaker made. Acoustic Research specified that the amplifier output impedance should be high for best results (seven ohms).

The simple fact of the matter is not all amplifiers will drive all speakers properly, and it is not a failing in the amplifier that that is the case. It is simply that there is more than one approach to creating audio reproduction.

Note that this is not a conversation about tubes/transistors; as an example of what I mean, look at the Nelson Pass First-Watt amplifiers, which are 'current source' devices, intended to drive speakers like the Fertin mentioned above, which they do very well. So this is a matter of intent by the designer, and the designer will be the first to tell you that there is no amplifier that can drive all speakers.
((Rwwear, FWIW they were never one of our dealers.))

It's possible we weren't but had some of your stuff around. I only worked there part time.

((Another example is the Acoustic Research AR-1, the very first acoustic suspension speaker made. Acoustic Research specified that the amplifier output impedance should be high for best results (seven ohms).))

Hard to say because Krell didn't really exist at the time. But, I bet it would.
There is no need my two cent on the technical aspect here with Ralph on the thread, and due to the fact I know close to nothing about electronics. But it I had a choice of an amp that brings out the best in my chosen speakers (Merlins) or an amp that will work very well with more speakers, but not be the best with the Merlins I would choose to find an amp that is ideal for my speakers. I've not heard the Krells but I'm 99.9998% sure that they would not make me happy. I'd rather spend the time to find an amp like the Atma-sphere or Joule (and a few others) that drive me Merlins which make music in a way that I prefer to any other speakers I've heard. Amps that drive the B&Ws great are no good for my Merlins, and vice versa.
Pubul57, with an attitude like yours I'm sure you wouldn't like Krell.

From Krell's manual:
Krell amplifiers are best known for their ability to drive any loudspeaker to sound
its best, without regard to impedance or efficiency. I believe that linearity, an
amplifier’s ability to output an exact duplicate of the input signal, is the ultimate
measure of that amplifier’s work. At Krell, I drive amplifier designs toward the common
goal of linearity, through the rigorous application of Krell design principles
that focus our efforts on four major performance factors: distortion, bandwidth,
output impedance, and current capability.

You can and should be skeptical of all things until proven.
My experiences have been very favorable so far.